Penguins Trade for Sexton, Erkamps and Scarfo
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins announced today that the Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL) have traded for forward Ben Sexton and defenseman Macoy Erkamps from the Ottawa Senators (NHL) in exchange for forward Tobias Lindberg and defenseman Stefan Elliott. In a separate transaction, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton has acquired forward Ryan Scarfo from the Belleville Senators in exchange for future considerations. All three players acquired from the Senators organization will report to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Sexton is a fifth-year pro who recorded nine points, all assists, in 17 games with Belleville this season. He previously had 21 points (10G-11A) in 30 games with the Senators last year, and even tacked on the first two NHL games of his career with Ottawa. He also tied for the Albany Devils' team lead in goals with 19 tallies during the 2016-17 season.
Originally a seventh round pick (206th overall) by the Boston Bruins in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, the 27-year-old Sexton played for four years at Clarkson University, where he was a teammate of fellow Wilkes-Barre/Scranton forwards Jarrett Burton and Troy Josephs.
Erkamps has netted six points (1G-5A) in 21 contests this season with the Senators' ECHL affiliate, the Brampton Beast. Last year, Erkamps played in 46 games for Belleville, earning one goal and four assists for five points in that time.
Prior to turning pro, the defenseman from Delta, British Columbia captained the Brandon Wheat Kings to a Western Hockey League Championship in 2016. He also racked up 58 assists during that season, leading all WHL defensemen, and his 71 total points placed second among league blueliners.
Scarfo, 24, is in his first full year of professional hockey after wrapping up a four-year stint at Union College where he played alongside Penguins defenseman Jeff Taylor. Scarfo posted two goals and two assists for four points in the first 14 AHL games of his career last year with Belleville. This season, he skated in six games for the Senators and then an additional 10 games with the Beast. Scarfo had two points (1G-1A) with Brampton.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is Friday, Dec. 7, when they battle the Cleveland Monsters at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza for the first time in nearly a decade. The match-up between the Monsters and Penguins is scheduled for a 7:05 p.m. puck drop.
Individual tickets for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, through all Ticketmaster outlets, or by contacting the Penguins' offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the 20th season of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins hockey, including full season, 22-game, 12-game and Flexbook plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2018
- Admirals Stumble in Texas - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolf Pack Edged by Late Goal - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bridgeport pushes its undefeated in regulation streak at home to 12 games - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Milano Tallies Three Points as Monsters Cruise Past Phantoms, 5-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Late Surge Not Enough on Road - Utica Comets
- P-Bruins Dominate Calder Cup Champion Marlies in 5-0 Win - Providence Bruins
- IceHogs Recall Defenseman McArdle - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Battle Bruins Tonight - Toronto Marlies
- Goaltender Lankinen Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Cooler Bag Giveaway, Illinois Lottery Cup on Weekend Docket - Rockford IceHogs
- Senators Acquire Elliott, Lindberg from Pittsburgh - Belleville Senators
- Admirals Sign Duncan Siemens to AHL Deal - Milwaukee Admirals
- Penguins Trade for Sexton, Erkamps and Scarfo - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Receive Carr Loan, Move Duke to Vegas - Chicago Wolves
- Grand Rapids Summons Hamilton from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sound Tigers Host Wolf Pack in â??Wednesday Night Rivalry - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game #20 Preview: Tucson at San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Thunderbirds Announce Staff Promotion - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Rampage Sign Taylor to Professional Tryout - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Sign Derek Hulak to PTO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Condors Have 5 Dollar Margaritas Tonight at 6:30 PM - Bakersfield Condors
- Sabres Assign Tennyson to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Dean Kukan to Cleveland Monsters for Purpose of Conditioning - Cleveland Monsters
- Hogs to Host Outdoor Practice in Belvidere on December 11 - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners, Oro Valley Rotary Club to Host Food Drive for IMPACT of Southern Arizona - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.