Comets Late Surge Not Enough on Road
Rochester, N.Y. - The Utica Comets generated a late surge in the third period, but they couldn't overcome the Rochester Americans in a 5-2 loss on Wednesday at Blue Cross Arena.
After exchanging chances in the first period, the Amerks broke the scoreless tie with the period's lone goal. Creating an odd-man rush, Rasmus Asplund gained the Comets' line and served up a pass to Victor Olofsson, who zipped a shot over the right leg of Thatcher Demko.
Rochester padded their lead in the second period, generating two more goals during the middle session. Matt Tennyson joined a rush and finished a tic-tac-toe play at the 1:54 mark, and Andrew MacWilliam's long shot re-directed into the net at 13:35. The two-goal period for the home team put the Comets behind 3-0 after forty minutes.
Down by three and pulling Thatcher Demko with just under five to go, the Comets earned their first goal of the night, courtesy of Reid Boucher from the top of the right circle. The 3-1 score lasted for less than 20 seconds before Rochester found the back of the empty net with Demko on the bench again.
With under three minutes remaining and with the extra attacker on the ice, Jonathan Dahlen fluttered a shot to the net that changed directions in front and slipped past Jonas Johansson and cut the deficit to two for the second time. The game was put away as Wayne Simpson finished into the empty net to cap off a 5-2 victory for Rochester.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2018
- Admirals Stumble in Texas - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolf Pack Edged by Late Goal - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bridgeport pushes its undefeated in regulation streak at home to 12 games - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Milano Tallies Three Points as Monsters Cruise Past Phantoms, 5-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Late Surge Not Enough on Road - Utica Comets
- P-Bruins Dominate Calder Cup Champion Marlies in 5-0 Win - Providence Bruins
- IceHogs Recall Defenseman McArdle - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Battle Bruins Tonight - Toronto Marlies
- Goaltender Lankinen Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Cooler Bag Giveaway, Illinois Lottery Cup on Weekend Docket - Rockford IceHogs
- Senators Acquire Elliott, Lindberg from Pittsburgh - Belleville Senators
- Admirals Sign Duncan Siemens to AHL Deal - Milwaukee Admirals
- Penguins Trade for Sexton, Erkamps and Scarfo - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Receive Carr Loan, Move Duke to Vegas - Chicago Wolves
- Grand Rapids Summons Hamilton from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sound Tigers Host Wolf Pack in â??Wednesday Night Rivalry - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game #20 Preview: Tucson at San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Thunderbirds Announce Staff Promotion - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Rampage Sign Taylor to Professional Tryout - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Sign Derek Hulak to PTO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Condors Have 5 Dollar Margaritas Tonight at 6:30 PM - Bakersfield Condors
- Sabres Assign Tennyson to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Dean Kukan to Cleveland Monsters for Purpose of Conditioning - Cleveland Monsters
- Hogs to Host Outdoor Practice in Belvidere on December 11 - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners, Oro Valley Rotary Club to Host Food Drive for IMPACT of Southern Arizona - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.