Gorillas Send Amarillo Fans Home Proud
Amarillo, TX - With two goals from Jake Morissette and 31 saves from Mike Brown, the Amarillo Gorillas earned their first shootout victory of the season 5-4 Friday night.
Rush forward Colt King put Rapid City on the board first when he back-handed his shot five-hole past Gorillas netminder Mike Brown at the 12:58 mark. Forward David Nimmo answered 1:34 later for Amarillo, as he deflected a Neil Smith shot for his team-leading 29th on the year. Amarillo 1, Rapid City 1 after one period of play.
After Colt King scored his second goal of the game at the 6:33 mark, the Gorillas converted on two power-play opportunities with goals from Shaun Arvai and Jake Morissette (2:09 apart). Rush forward Brendan Cook tied the contest at three with 42 seconds left in the frame. After two periods of play, Amarillo 3, Rapid City 3.
Rapid City jumped back in the lead with a tally from forward Derek LeBlanc 1:45 into the first period. After a pause in play due to an ice surface situation, Gorillas defenseman Andrew Smale scored on the power-play at the 9:01 mark. Amarillo 4, Rapid City 4 after regulation.
No one scored in the overtime frame and the contest went to a shootout. Jake Morissette was the only skater to score, while Mike Brown made all five stops helping Amarillo win 5-4.
Amarillo's home power-play has scored at least one man-advantage marker in 11 of their last 13 home contests...6 of Jake Morissette's last 7 points have been goals...With a first period tally, David Nimmo has 13 points over his last 9 games.
Amarillo concludes the 2009-2010 season tomorrow night in the Dallas-Forth Worth area against the Allen Americans. The game broadcast can be heard on 1440 AM ESPN Radio and seen on CHL-TV beginning at 6:55pm CST.
Renew your season tickets for the 2010-2011 season today! Call the Gorillas office at (806) 242-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 19, 2010
- Americans drop 5-2 contest to Corpus Christi - Allen Americans
- CHL Playoffs to Begin on Monday - CHL
- IceRays Playoff Tickets On Sale Now, Home Game Monday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mavericks Host RiverKings Monday, March 22 in Opening Round - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks End Regular Season in 5-0 Loss to Mudbugs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gorillas Send Amarillo Fans Home Proud - Amarillo Gorillas
- Eagles, Mudbugs Set to Start Playoffs Friday - Colorado Eagles
- IceRays Beat Americans 5-2 To Clinch Playoff Berth - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Campbell's Effort Wasted Against Bees - Wichita Thunder
- RiverKings Secure Home Ice For Playoffs First Round - Mississippi RiverKings
- Jacks Top Laredo in Overtime, 4-3 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Surge fall to Ice Flyers - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Comeback in Third, Lose in Overtime - Laredo Bucks
- Americans announce playoff dates, unveil playoff slogan - Allen Americans
- Bucks, Americans Playoff Schedule Set - Laredo Bucks
- Odessa's Joel Martin Named Most Outstanding Goaltender - CHL
- 2010 Round One Playoff Dates Set; Tickets On Sale - Fort Worth Brahmas
- RiverKings Meet Tulsa Tonight To Start Weekend Play - Mississippi RiverKings
- Colorado's Aaron Schneekloth Named CHL's Most Outstanding Defenseman - CHL
- Oilers Conclude The Season With Two Road Games - Tulsa Oilers
- Bucks In Odessa Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Shots From The Point - CHL
- 'Bugs Complete Season Sweep Of Oilers With 2-1 Win - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.