Mavericks End Regular Season in 5-0 Loss to Mudbugs
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - The Missouri Mavericks suffered their first shutout loss of the season in their final game, 5-0, to the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs Friday night at CenturyTel Center. The Mudbugs scored four goals in the third period to run away with the victory and five different players scored. Mudbugs' goaltender John DeCaro stopped all 27 shots he faced for his second shutout win of the season. The Mavericks finished their inaugural season with a 31-27-6 record for 68 points and will enter the playoffs as the #5 seed in the Northern Conference.
The Mavericks will host Mississippi in the first game this Monday, March 22 at 7:05 p.m. at Independence Events Center. Tickets are available by calling (866) 443-8849, visiting www.GetTIX.net or going to the Independence Events Center Box Office. The Box Office is open both Saturday, March 20 and Sunday, March 21 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The teams skated almost two full periods before the first goal was scored. Shawn Limpright scored at the 17:27 mark of the second period to unlock the scoreless tie on assists from Jeff Kyrzakos and David Pszenyczny. The Mudbugs held the lead after two full periods despite the Mavericks winning the battle in shots at 19-18.
It was all Bossier-Shreveport in the third period. David Rutherford, Tyrel Lucas, Joe Blaznek and Scott Kalinchuk all scored to make it a 5-0 final.
Mavericks' goaltender Charlie Effinger stopped 24 of 29 shots in just his third loss with the Mavericks this season. Forward Nick Sirota led the Mavs with seven shots on goal. Missouri was without Karl Sellan and Jeff Christian for the second straight game. The game marked the first time in 13 contests in which the Mavericks did not score a power play goal.
Tickets are on sale for the Mavericks' playoff game against Mississippi on Monday, March 22 by calling (866) 443-8849, visiting www.GetTIX.net, or going to the Independence Events Center Box Office. For more information call the Mavericks front office at (816) 252-7825 or visit www.MissouriMavericks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 19, 2010
- Americans drop 5-2 contest to Corpus Christi - Allen Americans
- CHL Playoffs to Begin on Monday - CHL
- IceRays Playoff Tickets On Sale Now, Home Game Monday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mavericks Host RiverKings Monday, March 22 in Opening Round - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks End Regular Season in 5-0 Loss to Mudbugs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gorillas Send Amarillo Fans Home Proud - Amarillo Gorillas
- Eagles, Mudbugs Set to Start Playoffs Friday - Colorado Eagles
- IceRays Beat Americans 5-2 To Clinch Playoff Berth - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Campbell's Effort Wasted Against Bees - Wichita Thunder
- RiverKings Secure Home Ice For Playoffs First Round - Mississippi RiverKings
- Jacks Top Laredo in Overtime, 4-3 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Surge fall to Ice Flyers - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Comeback in Third, Lose in Overtime - Laredo Bucks
- Americans announce playoff dates, unveil playoff slogan - Allen Americans
- Bucks, Americans Playoff Schedule Set - Laredo Bucks
- Odessa's Joel Martin Named Most Outstanding Goaltender - CHL
- 2010 Round One Playoff Dates Set; Tickets On Sale - Fort Worth Brahmas
- RiverKings Meet Tulsa Tonight To Start Weekend Play - Mississippi RiverKings
- Colorado's Aaron Schneekloth Named CHL's Most Outstanding Defenseman - CHL
- Oilers Conclude The Season With Two Road Games - Tulsa Oilers
- Bucks In Odessa Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Shots From The Point - CHL
- 'Bugs Complete Season Sweep Of Oilers With 2-1 Win - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Announce Nine-Game Television Partnership with KMBC-KCWE
- Mavericks Re-Sign Defenseman Brett Beauvais
- Mavericks Send VanWormer and Sherbinin's Rights to Norfolk for Nogard's Rights and Futures
- Mavericks Add Rookie Defenseman Cole Fraser and Rookie Forward Bryan Lemos
- Mavericks Sign Forward Kozun and Blueliner McKernan