Jacks Top Laredo in Overtime, 4-3
(Odessa, TX) - Phil Plante's deflection in front of the net was the overtime winner as the Odessa Jackalopes topped the Laredo Bucks, 4-3, on Friday night at the Ector County Coliseum in front of a crowd of 3,620. The win was Odessa's 47th of the season, tying a franchise record. The Jackalopes are now 47-11-5 on the season.
Sebastien Thinel took the shot from the top of the right circle that set up Plante's deflection, his third overtime winner this season and a power play goal for Odessa.
Laredo forced overtime after erasing a 3-1 deficit with just over nine minutes to play in the third period. Darryl Smith and Todd Griffith each scored for the Bucks. Alex Dunn gave Odessa the initial two-goal lead 2:22 into the period on a loose puck that rebounded in front off the end boards.
Both teams traded first period goals as Odessa took a 1-0 lead on a wrist shot from Troy Ofukany between the circles at 3:46. Brian Swiniarksi fed Ofukany from the right-wing corner for the assist. Laredo's Sylvain Deschatelets tied the game with less than a second in the frame scoring from the right-circle on an odd-man rush.
Odessa scored the only goal of the second period to take a 2-1 lead. On the power play, Jeff Pierce put a centering pass from the right-wing corner to the front of the net where Collin Circelli tapped it home for his 36th goal of the season at 12:09.
The overtime win was the sixth one-goal game between Odessa and Laredo this season in their seven total meetings. The Jackalopes won all six of those one-goal games, five in a shootout and one in overtime.
Juha Toivonen stopped 25 of 28 shots for the Jackalopes to earn his 21st win of the season. Laredo's Kevin Desfosses made 43 saves in the loss for Laredo.
The Jackalopes close out the 2009-10 regular season on Saturday when they host the Rapid City Rush. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 PM. There will be a brief pregame ceremony to present the Governor's Cup. The game can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is in the middle of their 13th season in the Permian Basin. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 19, 2010
- Americans drop 5-2 contest to Corpus Christi - Allen Americans
- CHL Playoffs to Begin on Monday - CHL
- IceRays Playoff Tickets On Sale Now, Home Game Monday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mavericks Host RiverKings Monday, March 22 in Opening Round - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks End Regular Season in 5-0 Loss to Mudbugs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gorillas Send Amarillo Fans Home Proud - Amarillo Gorillas
- Eagles, Mudbugs Set to Start Playoffs Friday - Colorado Eagles
- IceRays Beat Americans 5-2 To Clinch Playoff Berth - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Campbell's Effort Wasted Against Bees - Wichita Thunder
- RiverKings Secure Home Ice For Playoffs First Round - Mississippi RiverKings
- Jacks Top Laredo in Overtime, 4-3 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Surge fall to Ice Flyers - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Comeback in Third, Lose in Overtime - Laredo Bucks
- Americans announce playoff dates, unveil playoff slogan - Allen Americans
- Bucks, Americans Playoff Schedule Set - Laredo Bucks
- Odessa's Joel Martin Named Most Outstanding Goaltender - CHL
- 2010 Round One Playoff Dates Set; Tickets On Sale - Fort Worth Brahmas
- RiverKings Meet Tulsa Tonight To Start Weekend Play - Mississippi RiverKings
- Colorado's Aaron Schneekloth Named CHL's Most Outstanding Defenseman - CHL
- Oilers Conclude The Season With Two Road Games - Tulsa Oilers
- Bucks In Odessa Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Shots From The Point - CHL
- 'Bugs Complete Season Sweep Of Oilers With 2-1 Win - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.