'Bugs Complete Season Sweep Of Oilers With 2-1 Win
BOSSIER CITY, LA - David Rutherford and Chris St. Croix scored shootout goals to help the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs secure a 2-1 victory over the Tulsa Oilers Thursday night at the CenturyTel Center. The Mudbugs have now won three straight games to improve their record to 37-21-4 on the year.
The contest went to a shootout largely due to the efforts of Tulsa goaltender Marty Magers, who gave up only one goal through regulation and overtime despite a 40-20 Mudbugs shot advantage. Travis Clayton scored Bossier-Shreveport's goal and John DeCaro made 19 saves as the 'Bugs finished 6-0 against the Oilers this year.
Tulsa skated to a 7-4 shot advantage in the first period, but neither team found the back of the net as both clubs missed on one powerplay opportunity. The Oilers drew ahead early in the second with a powerplay goal as Jake Riddle directed Aaron Davis' centering pass by DeCaro at 3:51. Despite a 19-shot Mudbugs barrage in the period, the home team wasn't able to tie the score until the final minute of the frame. After Magers made a huge save on a powerplay one-timer by Jamie Milam, Clayton knocked in the rebound with just 42 seconds left in the second to tie the game at one for the 'Bugs.
Bossier-Shreveport outshot Tulsa 17-4 in the third period and overtime, but Magers held his ground to force the shootout. DeCaro slammed the door on four Oilers' shooters as Rutherford scored first and St. Croix netted the clincher to give the Mudbugs their 14th straight win over Tulsa.
The win improves DeCaro to 23-13-1 this year, while Magers drops to 3-11-4 despite making 39 saves. The 'Bugs converted 1 of 8 powerplays on the night, while the Oilers finished 1 for 4.
The Mudbugs will now conclude their regular season home schedule tomorrow night at 7:05 pm against the Missouri Mavericks on "Jim Sprott Night", when the 'Bugs will retire the #33 jersey of former Captain Jim Sprott. Tomorrow you can also help us "Light the Night" with the American Cancer Society to support the fight against cancer as $1.00 of every single game and group ticket sold will be donated to ACS.
Great seats are still available for tomorrow's game, so contact the team office at 318-752-BUGS to purchase group tickets. Individual tickets are available through Ticketmaster at 318-741-9700, online at www.ticketmaster.com or at the CenturyTel Center main box office.
Season and group tickets are on sale by calling 318-752-BUGS (2847) or by visiting our website at www.mudbugshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 19, 2010
- Americans drop 5-2 contest to Corpus Christi - Allen Americans
- CHL Playoffs to Begin on Monday - CHL
- IceRays Playoff Tickets On Sale Now, Home Game Monday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mavericks Host RiverKings Monday, March 22 in Opening Round - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks End Regular Season in 5-0 Loss to Mudbugs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gorillas Send Amarillo Fans Home Proud - Amarillo Gorillas
- Eagles, Mudbugs Set to Start Playoffs Friday - Colorado Eagles
- IceRays Beat Americans 5-2 To Clinch Playoff Berth - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Campbell's Effort Wasted Against Bees - Wichita Thunder
- RiverKings Secure Home Ice For Playoffs First Round - Mississippi RiverKings
- Jacks Top Laredo in Overtime, 4-3 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Surge fall to Ice Flyers - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Comeback in Third, Lose in Overtime - Laredo Bucks
- Americans announce playoff dates, unveil playoff slogan - Allen Americans
- Bucks, Americans Playoff Schedule Set - Laredo Bucks
- Odessa's Joel Martin Named Most Outstanding Goaltender - CHL
- 2010 Round One Playoff Dates Set; Tickets On Sale - Fort Worth Brahmas
- RiverKings Meet Tulsa Tonight To Start Weekend Play - Mississippi RiverKings
- Colorado's Aaron Schneekloth Named CHL's Most Outstanding Defenseman - CHL
- Oilers Conclude The Season With Two Road Games - Tulsa Oilers
- Bucks In Odessa Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Shots From The Point - CHL
- 'Bugs Complete Season Sweep Of Oilers With 2-1 Win - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.