Americans drop 5-2 contest to Corpus Christi
ALLEN, Texas - The playoff-bound Allen Americans lost to the Corpus Christi IceRays 5-2 tonight. Allen's record sits at 41-17-5 (87 points).
Corpus Christi came into the game in a fight for the last playoff spot in the Southern Conference. The visiting team began the game with all cylinders firing, shooting 12 pucks in the direction of Americans' backstop David McKee during the first period. The Americans were not without their scoring chances, but IceRays' goalie Kevin Beech stopped everything that came his way. Allen gave up a five-on-three power play goal to Corpus Christi's Kyle Peto with 2:05 remaining in the first that gave the IceRays a 1-0 lead.
The IceRays started the second by increasing their lead to three with goals from Ryan Bennett and Peto. Bennett scored on an odd-man rush with the extra-man advantage at 2:24, and Kyle Peto scored when a puck went off the boards and straight to him. Two minutes after Peto's goal, 2010 CHL All-Star Bruce Graham responded with a backhand goal top shelf to bring the Americans within two, 3-1. The two-goal separation did not last long. Former Allen American Kurtis Dulle tallied a goal at 14:25 to regain the IceRays' three-goal advantage. The score was 4-1 after 40 minutes.
The Americans scored early in the third period to bring them within two. Nino Musitelli shot high on Beech's glove side 53 seconds into the final frame. The IceRay netminder got a piece of the shot but not enough to stop it. The clock ran down, and Allen called a timeout with 1:26 remaining. The Americans emerged from the timeout with six skaters on the ice. Bennett scored an empty-net goal to seal the game's fate at 19:06 and sent the IceRays into the playoffs.
McKee made 26 saves tonight, while Beech stopped 13 shots. Prior to tonight's game, Jordie Benn was activated from 14-day injured reserve.
The Americans close out their first regular season tomorrow night, March 20, at 7:30 p.m. As a part of Fan Appreciation Weekend, the club will be hosting a post-game skate for all fans with the players and Ice Angels. Fans can bring their own skates or rent skates.
The Americans are also hosting the first Police vs. Fire On Ice matchup that will take place at 5:00 p.m. The Allen Police Department will be facing off against the Allen Fire Department. One tickets gets fans access to both games. Tickets are available by calling 972-912-1000.
Earlier today, the Americans announced the schedule for their first series in the 2010 Ray Miron President's Cup Playoffs. They will begin post-season play in the Conference Semi-Finals by taking on Laredo. Their first home playoff games will be March 26 and 27 at 7:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 19, 2010
- Americans drop 5-2 contest to Corpus Christi - Allen Americans
- CHL Playoffs to Begin on Monday - CHL
- IceRays Playoff Tickets On Sale Now, Home Game Monday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mavericks Host RiverKings Monday, March 22 in Opening Round - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks End Regular Season in 5-0 Loss to Mudbugs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gorillas Send Amarillo Fans Home Proud - Amarillo Gorillas
- Eagles, Mudbugs Set to Start Playoffs Friday - Colorado Eagles
- IceRays Beat Americans 5-2 To Clinch Playoff Berth - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Campbell's Effort Wasted Against Bees - Wichita Thunder
- RiverKings Secure Home Ice For Playoffs First Round - Mississippi RiverKings
- Jacks Top Laredo in Overtime, 4-3 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Surge fall to Ice Flyers - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Comeback in Third, Lose in Overtime - Laredo Bucks
- Americans announce playoff dates, unveil playoff slogan - Allen Americans
- Bucks, Americans Playoff Schedule Set - Laredo Bucks
- Odessa's Joel Martin Named Most Outstanding Goaltender - CHL
- 2010 Round One Playoff Dates Set; Tickets On Sale - Fort Worth Brahmas
- RiverKings Meet Tulsa Tonight To Start Weekend Play - Mississippi RiverKings
- Colorado's Aaron Schneekloth Named CHL's Most Outstanding Defenseman - CHL
- Oilers Conclude The Season With Two Road Games - Tulsa Oilers
- Bucks In Odessa Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Shots From The Point - CHL
- 'Bugs Complete Season Sweep Of Oilers With 2-1 Win - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Allen Americans Stories
- Team-Record Seven Americans Players Headed to Minnesota Wild Training Camp
- Americans Add Former Stars Draft Pick, and University of Denver Defenseman to the Mix
- Americans Announce Signing of Defenseman Kayle Doetzel
- Americans Add Offensive Punch on the Blue-Line with Addition of Turner Ottenbreit
- Americans Add Experience up Front with Addition of Shawn O'Donnell