Goldeyes Get Behind Early, Lose in Fargo
In the string of nine consecutive losses the Winnipeg Goldeyes have suffered to the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks, seven of the defeats have been by three runs or less. Tuesday night was not one of those games.
The Goldeyes gave up five runs in the bottom of the fourth inning and fell 8-2 to the RedHawks before 4,309 fans at Newman Outdoor Field.
The loss pushes Winnipeg six and a half games back of the RedHawks for first place in the American Association's North Division and narrows the Goldeyes lead in the wild card race to four games over the Kansas City T-Bones.
Fargo scored once in the first and twice in the second before the Goldeyes got on the board. Yurendell de Caster hit a solo home run in the top of the fourth inning and Jon Weber scored on a Luis Alen double and Jon Gaston error to cut the RedHawks lead to 3-2.
However, a five-run bottom of the fourth - all the runs were charged to Goldeyes starter Todd Privett - gave Fargo control of the game. Privett was relieved by Alex Jones after allowing three runs in the inning without getting an out.
The Goldeyes managed just five hits in the contest, while Chris Roberson's 24-game hitting streak on the road came to an end when he failed to register a hit in four at bats. His 28-game on base streak was also stopped.
Fargo starter Tyler Herron pitched seven innings for the win, while Privett took the loss.
Jones pitched five scoreless innings to give Winnipeg a chance to get back into the game. It's the most innings a Goldeyes reliever has pitched in a game this season.
Winnipeg will try to end a four-game losing streak on the road in the third game of the four-game series Wednesday night in Fargo. Ace Walker (6-4, 3.68) will take the ball for Winnipeg, while Fargo will start Alex Caldera (9-2, 3.53).
The pre-game show on TSN 1290 with Paul Edmonds begins at 6:30 p.m. Game time is 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 14, 2012
- Miller Time, T-Bones Slop Land 'Dogs Comeback Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs Rake in First Game of Road Trip - Laredo Lemurs
- Hinson Outstanding in Tough Loss - Wichita Wingnuts
- Sox Extend AirHogs Slide in Bizarre Fashion - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- RedHawks Cruise Past Goldeyes, 8-2 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Diablos Shut Out Wingnuts To Move Up In Standings - El Paso Diablos
- Goldeyes Get Behind Early, Lose in Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Fish Add Lefty Van Leur from Sioux Falls - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Disastrous Ninth Does in Saints in 5-2 Loss - St. Paul Saints
- Pheasants Trade Van Leur, Add Rookie Arm - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RailCats Stun Saints in Ninth - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- T-Bones, CommunityAmerica Reach Agreement to Extend Stadium Naming Rights - Kansas City Monarchs
- American Association Results - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Goldeyes Stories
- Goldeyes Acquire Dynamic Left-Hander
- Goldeyes Release 2022 Schedule
- Goldeyes Exercise Options on 17 Players
- Former Champion, Winnipegger Joins Coaching Staff Full-Time
- Winnipeg Goldeyes and Shaw Communications Recognize the Dream Factory as Everyday Heroes in New Initiative