Sox Extend AirHogs Slide in Bizarre Fashion
AMARILLO, Texas - With runners at the corners and one out in a tie game in bottom of the ninth, the Grand Prairie AirHogs attempted to intentionally walk Garret Rau to load the bases, while Amarillo Sox runner Derrick Pyles never saw the intentional walk signal, and took off for home on a suicide squeeze attempt. Ray Silva's pitch strayed over home plate, and Rau was able to get the bunt down, as Pyles scored to bring the Sox a 5-4 win at Amarillo National Bank Sox Stadium on Tuesday.
The AirHogs (44-38) lost a lead in the fourth straight game on the road, this time leading 2-0 and 3-1 thanks to two errors by Harrison Kain in center on one play and a solo home run by Scott Clement, before a three-run home run in the bottom of the fifth by Adam Buschini put Amarillo (39-43) on top.
Trent Lockwood hit an opposite-field, two-out homer off Ryan Mitchell to tie it in the sixth, but the AirHogs went 1-for-11 with seven strikeouts after that, including a strikeout of Lockwood by lefty Trent Lare with two on and two out in the eighth and a 1-2-3 ninth with two strikeouts by Chase Johnson
New acquisition Ray Silva (0-1) began the bottom of the ninth by getting a popout on the first pitch from Tyler Goodro, but a pair of ground ball singles by Pyles and Jake Luce set up the game-winning situation.
Notes: AirHogs starter Jake Cowan went five-plus innings, allowing four runs on six hits, after retiring the first 10 batters he faced.The AirHogs activated John Alonso (0-for-4) and Brian Myrow (1-for-3, double, walk) from the disabled list before the game.The AirHogs were held to five hits.
The 2011 American Association Champion Grand Prairie AirHogs have Monday off and begin a three-game series in Amarillo against the Sox on Tuesday, August 14, at 7:05 p.m. The next home game at QuikTrip Park is Friday, August 17, against the El Paso Diablos, at 7:05 p.m. That night is Tecate Jerseys off our Backs Night, as well as a free QuikTrip Night with vouches available at local QuikTrip stores. That night is also Pirate Night, with a performance by the Bilge Pumps. All games are aired live and for free on Ustream by clicking on the link on the AirHogs' home page or visiting http://www.ustream.tv/channel/airhogs-baseball with selected contests aired on Time Warner Cable's Texas Channel. For information on tickets, promotions, advertising, and other opportunities with the AirHogs, check out the Web site at www.airhogsbaseball.com, or call the QuikTrip Park office at (972) 504-9383.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 14, 2012
- Miller Time, T-Bones Slop Land 'Dogs Comeback Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs Rake in First Game of Road Trip - Laredo Lemurs
- Hinson Outstanding in Tough Loss - Wichita Wingnuts
- Sox Extend AirHogs Slide in Bizarre Fashion - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- RedHawks Cruise Past Goldeyes, 8-2 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Diablos Shut Out Wingnuts To Move Up In Standings - El Paso Diablos
- Goldeyes Get Behind Early, Lose in Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Fish Add Lefty Van Leur from Sioux Falls - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Disastrous Ninth Does in Saints in 5-2 Loss - St. Paul Saints
- Pheasants Trade Van Leur, Add Rookie Arm - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RailCats Stun Saints in Ninth - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- T-Bones, CommunityAmerica Reach Agreement to Extend Stadium Naming Rights - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Results - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs