Pheasants Trade Van Leur, Add Rookie Arm
SIOUX FALLS - The Sioux Falls Pheasants traded left-handed reliever Jack Van Leur to the Winnipeg Goldeyes on Tuesday in exchange for two players to be named later. They also signed hard-throwing rookie reliever Jordan Wellander.
Van Leur completes the offseason trade between the two clubs that brought slugger Cristian Guerrero to the Pheasants on April 18.
Van Leur, a native of Brandon, S.D., led the Pheasants with 39 appearances while posting a 3-1 record and a 3.78 ERA. He had seven walks and 23 strikeouts. He was particularly adept at retiring left-handed hitters, who batted just .154 with just two extra-base hits against him.
Wellander, 22, is a true rookie from Headland, Ala. After two seasons at Brevard Community College (Fla.), Wellander transferred to Barry University near Miami, Fla. He was their second leading starter this spring, his senior season, with a 5-5 mark and a 3.51 ERA. He walked just 17 and struck out 48 with a reported fastball in the mid 90s.
This summer, Wellander played for the U.S. Military All-Stars and then joined the St. Joseph Mustangs of the summer collegiate M.I.N.K league, helping them to a league championship.
The Pheasants begin a three-game home series with the Laredo Lemurs at 7:05 p.m. tonight at Sioux Falls Stadium.
Information about individual tickets and group outings with the Sioux Falls Pheasants is available by calling (605) 336-6060 or visiting www.sfpheasants.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 14, 2012
- Miller Time, T-Bones Slop Land 'Dogs Comeback Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs Rake in First Game of Road Trip - Laredo Lemurs
- Hinson Outstanding in Tough Loss - Wichita Wingnuts
- Sox Extend AirHogs Slide in Bizarre Fashion - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- RedHawks Cruise Past Goldeyes, 8-2 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Diablos Shut Out Wingnuts To Move Up In Standings - El Paso Diablos
- Goldeyes Get Behind Early, Lose in Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Fish Add Lefty Van Leur from Sioux Falls - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Disastrous Ninth Does in Saints in 5-2 Loss - St. Paul Saints
- Pheasants Trade Van Leur, Add Rookie Arm - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RailCats Stun Saints in Ninth - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- T-Bones, CommunityAmerica Reach Agreement to Extend Stadium Naming Rights - Kansas City Monarchs
- American Association Results - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.