RailCats Stun Saints in Ninth
ST. PAUL, Minn. - The RailCats rallied from a 2-0 deficit with five runs in the ninth inning to stun the St. Paul Saints in a 5-2 victory on Tuesday afternoon. The 'Cats had their second ninth-inning comeback win in a week to improve to 40-43 on the season.
Trailing 2-0 entering the ninth, Craig Maddox led off with a walk. Brian Kolb singled and Trevor Willis followed with a run-scoring single to pull the RailCats to within a run. Dustin Klabunde came on in relief and walked David Cooper, then with one out threw a wild pitch, allowing Kolb to score the tying run. Adam Klein was intentionally walked to load the bases for Zac Mitchell, who lined a single to center to give the RailCats a 3-2 lead. Ryan Babineau added a two-run single to cap off the five-run outburst.
The 'Cats had four hits in the ninth after being held to just four hits through the first eight innings. Saints starter Robert Coe threw seven scoreless frames in the no-decision. Meanwhile, RailCats starter Stephen Hiscock tossed his 10th quality outing of the season, holding the Saints to two runs on six hits in seven innings in the no-decision.
St. Paul scored a pair of runs in the fourth on an RBI double by Jose Hernandez and an RBI single by Jon Townsend to take a 2-0 lead.
Nick Carr (1-1) was charged with three runs in the ninth for the loss. Nolan Nicholson (3-3) pitched a scoreless eighth for the win, while Marco Gonzalez claimed his fourth save.
The series rubber match is on Wednesday at 7:05. Former Saint Alberto Rolon (3-4, 7.56) will be on the hill for the RailCats.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 14, 2012
- Miller Time, T-Bones Slop Land 'Dogs Comeback Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs Rake in First Game of Road Trip - Laredo Lemurs
- Hinson Outstanding in Tough Loss - Wichita Wingnuts
- Sox Extend AirHogs Slide in Bizarre Fashion - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- RedHawks Cruise Past Goldeyes, 8-2 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Diablos Shut Out Wingnuts To Move Up In Standings - El Paso Diablos
- Goldeyes Get Behind Early, Lose in Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Fish Add Lefty Van Leur from Sioux Falls - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Disastrous Ninth Does in Saints in 5-2 Loss - St. Paul Saints
- Pheasants Trade Van Leur, Add Rookie Arm - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RailCats Stun Saints in Ninth - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- T-Bones, CommunityAmerica Reach Agreement to Extend Stadium Naming Rights - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Results - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Care Launched to Benefit Local Organizations
- RailCats Announce Latest Set of Off-Season Roster Moves
- RailCats Announce Front Office Additions Including American Association's First Female Lead Broadcaster
- RailCats to Honor Indiana Beach Passes During 2020 Season
- RailCats Announce Off-Season Roster Moves