Diablos Shut Out Wingnuts To Move Up In Standings
WICHITA, KS- The Diablos and Wichita Wingnuts played to a scoreless tie through seven innings before Zane Chavez's two-run double finally gave El Paso the lead in what wound up a 6-0 victory for the Diablos at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
The Diablos could not touch Wichita starter Ryan Hinson through the first seven frames, failing to put a single runner in scoring postion. But Reyes Dorado matched Hinson zero for zero, escaping several jams and keeping the Wingnuts off the board.
After Chavez's double broke the scoreless stalemate, El Paso added on with RBI's from Maikol Gonzalez and Reid Fronk to extend the lead to 4-0. The Diablos added two more runs in the ninth to pad the lead.
Justin Harper (3-1) picked up the victory after relieving Dorado, and Marcel Prado finished the night off by getting the final four outs.
With Grand Prairie's loss, the win moves the Diablos to within three and a half games of first place in the South division with 21 left to play. Game three of the series between El Paso and Wichita is scheduled for a 7:05 p.m. (6:05 MST) start on Wednesday.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 14, 2012
- Miller Time, T-Bones Slop Land 'Dogs Comeback Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs Rake in First Game of Road Trip - Laredo Lemurs
- Hinson Outstanding in Tough Loss - Wichita Wingnuts
- Sox Extend AirHogs Slide in Bizarre Fashion - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- RedHawks Cruise Past Goldeyes, 8-2 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Diablos Shut Out Wingnuts To Move Up In Standings - El Paso Diablos
- Goldeyes Get Behind Early, Lose in Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Fish Add Lefty Van Leur from Sioux Falls - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Disastrous Ninth Does in Saints in 5-2 Loss - St. Paul Saints
- Pheasants Trade Van Leur, Add Rookie Arm - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RailCats Stun Saints in Ninth - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- T-Bones, CommunityAmerica Reach Agreement to Extend Stadium Naming Rights - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Results - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.