Gonzalez Named Hitter of the Month
DURHAM, NC - The American Association announced today that El Paso Diablos SS Maikol Gonzalez* *has been named the Rawlings Hitter of the Month for August. The selection was made by Pointstreak, the official statistician of the American Association. This marks Gonzalez' 5th award during the 2013 season. Past awards include two-time American Association Hitter of the Week, Organization's Most Valuable Player, and the American Association All-Star SS.
It might not be a stretch to say that Gonzalez was voted the American Association's top shortstop based largely on his performance in August. The Diablos' shortstop had his best month of the season with a .482 average and 22 RBI. That high batting average gave Gonzalez plenty of opportunities to steal and the shortstop took advantage. He swiped 12 bags in August, giving him a league-high 47 by season's end.
Gonzalez did not always have to steal his extra bases. The Rawlings Hitter of the Month drilled seven triples in August. That gave Gonzalez the third most in the league at the end of the season with nine. He also hit nine doubles in the last full month of the season and slugged .684. And when Gonzalez moved into scoring position, whether with an extra-base hit or a steal, he had very little trouble finding home. The speedster scored 35 runs in 29 games, finishing the season with the second-highest runs total in the league with 85.
No one game stands out as Gonzalez's best in August, but that is only because he was remarkably consistent. The leadoff batter hit safely in 26 of 29 games in August and reached base safely in 27 contests for an OBP of .569. Gonzalez ended the month on a 17-game hit streak that included 12 multi-hit performances, one of which was a 5-for-5 day with two doubles.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 3, 2013
- Family Chevrolet Signs on as Title Sponsor of Lemurs vs. Tecolotes Game on 9/26 - Laredo Lemurs
- Gonzalez Named Hitter of the Month - El Paso Diablos
- RailCats Are Playoff Bound - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Twins Come Calling Again, Make Pitcher Mark Hamburger 113th Saint to Have Contract Purchased - St. Paul Saints
- Rookie of the Year goes to Joe Weik - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Salazar Named AA Pitcher of the Week - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Claim South Division Title on Last Day of Season - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Fish Finish 2013 with Win over Rival RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.