RailCats Are Playoff Bound
GARY, IN - For the first time since 2010, the Gary SouthShore RailCats have qualified for the American Association playoffs. With Saturday's 7-4 victory over the El Paso Diablos, the RailCats clinched the wild card and finished their regular season with a record of 58-41.
2013 is the 18th straight season in which Manager Greg Tagert's team did not have a losing season and the RailCats seventh playoff appearance in nine years under Tagert.
"We are very fortunate to have someone of Greg's caliber to lead our organization on and off the field," said RailCats President and General Manager Kevin Spudic, "One of the reasons he's been here for so long; is that he understands the talent level in the league he's managed in. Year-in and year-out, he's able to find high quality players for our team."
58 wins for the RailCats is tied for the most in franchise history, tying the record set in 2007 when the RailCats won the Northern League Championship over Calgary.
"The ballclub deserves a lot of credit as they really had to earn their playoff spot in a highly competitive American Association. Post-season baseball at the U.S. Steel Yard is also a great reward for the RailCats fans that showed tremendous support throughout the season" said Pete Laven, President of Salvi Sports Enterprises.
In 2013, 165,024 fans passed through the gates at U. S. Steel Yard; an increase of 5.4% over 2012.
"It's been a strong mixture of the product on the field and the family friendly atmosphere we've created here at U. S. Steel Yard. We have done a great job getting out in the community with the RailCats Caravan in the off-season and creating promotions and entertainment that has made RailCats baseball an exciting and fun experience for everyone in the region," said RailCats President and General Manager Kevin Spudic.
The increase in attendance caps off a banner year for the RailCats organization. In March of 2013, the RailCats proudly announced a new 10-year naming rights agreement with U. S. Steel keeping the home of the RailCats named U. S. Steel Yard through the 2022 season.
The RailCats open the 2013 American Association playoffs with a five-game series with Fargo-Moorhead on Wednesday night. It is the fifth time the Redhawks and RailCats will meet in post season play in franchise history. Fargo took each of the three most recent matchups when the teams were members of the Northern League. In 2005, the RailCats defeated Fargo in five games to win the Northern League Championship.
In the RailCats previous playoff appearance, 2010, the Redhawks took the series in three straight games on their way to the Northern League Championship.
The RailCats will begin their series on Wednesday in Fargo, below is game time information and the scheduled pitching matchups. As with all games during the 2013 season, you can listen to RailCats baseball on 89.1 FM The Lakeshore and RailCatsBaseball.com.
Wednesday, September 4 at Fargo 7:02 p.m, - Game 1 RHP Taylor Stanten vs. LHP Alain Quijano
Thursday, September 5 at Fargo 7:02 p.m. - Game 2 RHP Alex Caldera vs. RHP Stephen Hiscock
Friday, September 6 at Gary 7:10 p.m. - Game 3 RHP Brian Ernst vs. RHP Billy Spottiswood
Saturday, September 7 at Gary 6:10 p.m. (if necessary) - Game 4 LHP Jake Laber vs. RHP Morgan Coombs
Friday, September 8 at Gary 2:10 p.m. (if necessary) - Game 5 TBA vs. TBA
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 3, 2013
- Family Chevrolet Signs on as Title Sponsor of Lemurs vs. Tecolotes Game on 9/26 - Laredo Lemurs
- Gonzalez Named Hitter of the Month - El Paso Diablos
- RailCats Are Playoff Bound - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Twins Come Calling Again, Make Pitcher Mark Hamburger 113th Saint to Have Contract Purchased - St. Paul Saints
- Rookie of the Year goes to Joe Weik - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Salazar Named AA Pitcher of the Week - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Claim South Division Title on Last Day of Season - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Fish Finish 2013 with Win over Rival RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Announce Full Schedule and Opening Day for 2021 Season
- Anthem BlueCross BlueShield Announces No Cost Flu Clinics at the Steel Yard
- American Association Designated as Partner League of MLB
- RailCats Announce the Greens at the Steel Yard Event
- Gary SouthShore RailCats, Schaumburg Boomers to Add Black Lives Matters Patches to Team Jerseys