Rookie of the Year goes to Joe Weik
AMARILLO, TX - Joe Weik has earned the rank of Rookie of the Year in the American Association. The former TCU player was in a number of roles for the Sox this season, including left field, right field, and first base. Playing in all but three games on Amarillo's schedule, the Grapevine, Texas native accumulated 128 hits.
Weik had 32 doubles, three triples and seven homeruns for the year with a team-leading 81 runs batted in. The Sox outfielder finished a point shy of the team lead in batting average with .327, while having at least 200 at-bats. Aside from his 392 at-bats, Weik had 30 plate appearances in which he was walked. The slugger also nabbed three bases on the season.
Among position players, Weik had the second-best fielding percentage on the Sox squad at .997 to finish the year. Leading the team in put-outs at 565, Weik had 31 assists as well. During the season, Weik only committed two errors in the field. Congratulations to Joe Weik on his award; Rookie of the Year.
Season tickets are available for purchase in-person by visiting the Sox Front Offices at 801 S. Polk or over the phone by calling (806) 242-4653. For more information on tickets, game times and schedules, promotions, marketing opportunities, and everything else Sox, visit the "Official Website of the Amarillo Sox" at www.amarillosox.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 3, 2013
- Family Chevrolet Signs on as Title Sponsor of Lemurs vs. Tecolotes Game on 9/26 - Laredo Lemurs
- Gonzalez Named Hitter of the Month - El Paso Diablos
- RailCats Are Playoff Bound - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Twins Come Calling Again, Make Pitcher Mark Hamburger 113th Saint to Have Contract Purchased - St. Paul Saints
- Rookie of the Year goes to Joe Weik - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Salazar Named AA Pitcher of the Week - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Claim South Division Title on Last Day of Season - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Fish Finish 2013 with Win over Rival RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.