AirHogs Claim South Division Title on Last Day of Season
Grand Prairie, TX The Grand Prairie AirHogs (54-46) won the South Division of the American Association Monday afternoon. Officially, Grand Prairie won the division when Amarillo lost at Sioux Falls, 4-3, earlier in the afternoon. But the AirHogs wanted to end the season with a winning streak and did so by beating Lincoln, 4-1, at QuikTrip Park in the last game of the regular season. The AirHogs will face Wichita in the opening round of the playoffs in a best-of-five series beginning on Wednesday, Sept. 4 at QuikTrip Park at 7:05 p.m.
Games 1 and 2 of the playoffs will be held at QuikTrip Park on Wednesday, Sept. 4 and Thursday, Sept. 5 at 7:05 p.m. The remaining games of the series will be in Wichita beginning with Game 3 on Friday, Sept. 6.
Playoff tickets go on sale Tuesday, Sept. 3 at noon. Fans can order their playoff tickets online at airhogsbaseball.com, over the phone at 972-504-9383, or in person at the AirHogs box office. Playoff tickets are $8, $12 and $15.
Shortstop Yasutsugu Nishimotos two-run single in the second inning turned out to be the game winner Monday afternoon.. Aaron Wilkerson got the start for the AirHogs, but was pulled after a scoreless inning when Grand Prairie learned Amarillo had lost. Stephen Nikonchik came on and pitched two scoreless innings when the AirHogs took the lead. He was creditied with the win to improve to 2-0 on the season. David Quinowski, Chase Johnson and Curtis Camilli each pitched two innings in relief helping the AirHogs preserve the victory.
This marks the second time in three years that the AirHogs have made the playoffs. In 2011, Grand Prairie won the American Association championship.
Opening Round best-of-five series vs. Wichita
Game 1 Wednesday, Sept. 4 at QuikTrip Park at 7:05 p.m.
Game 2 Thursday, Sept. 5 at QuikTrip Park at 7:05 p.m.
Game 3 Friday, Sept. 6 at Wichita at 7:05 p.m.
Game 4 (if necessary) Saturday, Sept. 7 at Wichita at 7:05 p.m.
Game 5 (if necessary) Sunday, Sept. 8 at Wichita at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 3, 2013
- Family Chevrolet Signs on as Title Sponsor of Lemurs vs. Tecolotes Game on 9/26 - Laredo Lemurs
- Gonzalez Named Hitter of the Month - El Paso Diablos
- RailCats Are Playoff Bound - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Twins Come Calling Again, Make Pitcher Mark Hamburger 113th Saint to Have Contract Purchased - St. Paul Saints
- Rookie of the Year goes to Joe Weik - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Salazar Named AA Pitcher of the Week - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Claim South Division Title on Last Day of Season - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Fish Finish 2013 with Win over Rival RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs