Goal from Ilsinho earns Union another point in draw against Orlando
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Philadelphia Union finished MLS is Back Tournament Group A play with a 1-1 draw against Orlando City SC, securing second place in the group. Ilsinho put the Union ahead in the 68th minute, his first goal of the 2020 season, after excellent build up play from Brenden Aaronson and Alejandro Bedoya. Andre Blake continued to impress in net, making six saves on the night. The team returns to action on Saturday, July 25 in a MLS is Back Knockout Round match, time and opponent to be announced at a later date.
Philadelphia Union 1 - Orlando City SC 1
Disney Wide World of Sports Complex (Orlando, Fla.)
Monday, July 20, 2020
TODAY'S MATCH INFO:
Referee: Rubiel Vazquez
Assistant Referees: Brian Dunn, Benjamin Hall-Volpenhein
Fourth Official: Drew Fischer
VAR: Ismail Elfath
Assistant VAR: Chris Wattam
Weather: 84 degrees and clear
PHI - Ilsinho (Alejandro Bedoya) 68'
ORL - Mauricio Pereyra (Nani) 70'
PHI - Alejandro Bedoya (caution) 56'
ORL - Oriol Rosell (caution) 67'
PHI - Jakob Glesnes (caution) 80'
ORL - Ruan (caution) 90'+1'
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Raymon Gaddis, Jack Elliott, Mark McKenzie, Kai Wagner Alejandro Bedoya, Warren Creavalle (Jakob Glesnes, 73'), Jamiro Monteiro, Brenden Aaronson (Matt Real, 90'+4'); Kacper Przybylko, Sergio Santos (Ilsinho, 59')
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik, Aurelien Collin, Olivier Mbaizo, Anthony Fontana, Matej Oravec, Jack de Vries, Cole Turner, Andrew Wooten, Michee Ngalina
Orlando City SC: Pedro Gallese; Ruan, Antonio Carlos, Robin Jansson, Joao Muutinho; Oriol Rosell, Junior Urso (Jhegson Mendez,19'), Chris Muller (Andres Perea, 87'), Mauricio Pereyra (Santiago Patino, 88'), Nani; Tesho Akindele (Benji Michel, 74')
Substitutes not used: Brian Rowe, Alex De John, Kyle Smith, Kamal Miller, Rodrigo Schlegel, David Loera, Jordan Bender, Daryl Dike
Ilsinho netted his first goal of the season, helping the club secure a point. The goal ended a 10-match drought for the Brazilian super sub. His 68th minute strike marked his 20th goal for the club, good for fifth all-time and one away from moving up to fourth.
Goalkeeper Andre Blake made six saves on the night, two off his season high of eight. He has registered at least five saves in four of five matches in 2020. Blake pushes his Union all-time saves record to 424.
Captain Alejandro Bedoya registered the assist on the Union's only goal of the match. It was his 15th for Philadelphia, which moves him to sixth on the club's all-time assist list, tied with Fabinho. His assist was finished by Ilsinho, who is fifth all-time in assists with 17.
Philadelphia has scored in four straight matches, finding the back of the net in every match since being shutout to in their opening match of the 2020 season. The most recent streak of four or more goals came between May 25, 2019 and July 7, 2020 with the Union scoring in eight-straight matches.
For the fifth match in a row, at least three Homegrown players played for the Union. Mark McKenzie and Brenden Aaronson started for the fifth-straight match with Matt Real making a substitute appearance, his third appearance of the season.
The Union returns to action on Saturday, July 25 in a MLS is Back Knockout Round match against, time and opponent to be announced at a later date.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 20, 2020
- Goal from Ilsinho earns Union another point in draw against Orlando - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City Wins Group A Following Draw with Philadelphia - Orlando City SC
- Loudoun United FC Fall 3-1 to Hartford Athletic on the Road - D.C. United
- Javier Hernandez Returns to LA, out for Remainder of MLS Is Back Tournament - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 20, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Conclude Group E Matches with Cincinnati on Wednesday - New York Red Bulls
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 0 Inter Miami CF - New York City FC
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: July 20-26 - Chicago Fire
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Faces Atlanta United Tomorrow on ESPN2 - Columbus Crew SC
- Alonso: "When the Road Is Tough, Only the Tough Ones WalkÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Inter Miami Falls to 1-0 Defeat to NYCFC in Final MLS Is Back Match - Inter Miami CF
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Toronto FC - New England Revolution
- The Montreal Impact Acquires Full-Back Mustafa Kizza - Montreal Impact
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: July 20, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Secures Passage to Knockout Round of MLS Is Back Tournament with 3-0 Victory over Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- 'Caps fall to rival Sounders in tourney action - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Anthony Fontana records brace; Union take second place in Eastern Conference
- MLS Announces Regular Season Schedule Through September
- Union net three to earn three points on the road
- Union fall to Columbus Crew SC on the road
- Philadelphia Union Forward Kacper Przybylko Voted MLS Player of the Week