Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Columbus Crew SC
ATLANTA - Atlanta United returns to action Tuesday night against Columbus Crew SC at Orlando's ESPN Wide World of Sports complex in the club's final match of Group E play in the MLS is Back Tournament. The match will be nationally televised on ESPN2 and TUDN at 8 p.m. ET and transmitted on Sports Radio 92.9 The Game.
Atlanta holds an all-time record of 5-2-1 against Columbus in all competitions and a 4-2-0 record in MLS regular season play. In six league matches, Atlanta has outscored Crew SC by a total of 11-7.
Crew SC won the most recent meeting 3-1 on Sept. 14, 2019 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
Atlanta ranks third in MLS this season in passing accuracy at 84.90 percent, one spot above Columbus at 84.28 percent.
Pity MartÃnez ranks fifth in MLS in big chances created since the start of the 2019 season. The Argentine midfielder has created 18, while LAFC's Carlos Vela leads the league with 22.
To advance in the tournament, Atlanta needs to beat Columbus, have the New York Red Bulls-FC Cincinnati match not end in a draw and to receive favorable results from other groups to have the possibility to qualify as one of the best four third-place finishers. Columbus stands atop Group E entering Tuesday's match and has already advanced to the knockout round.
Tuesday, July 21 | ESPN Wide World of Sports, Orlando, FL|8 p.m. (ET)
Atlanta United (2-2-0, 6 points) vs. Columbus Crew SC (3-0-1, 10 points)
TV | ESPN2/TUDN
English Radio | 92.9 The Game
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 20, 2020
- Goal from Ilsinho earns Union another point in draw against Orlando - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City Wins Group A Following Draw with Philadelphia - Orlando City SC
- Loudoun United FC Fall 3-1 to Hartford Athletic on the Road - D.C. United
- Javier Hernandez Returns to LA, out for Remainder of MLS Is Back Tournament - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 20, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Conclude Group E Matches with Cincinnati on Wednesday - New York Red Bulls
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 0 Inter Miami CF - New York City FC
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: July 20-26 - Chicago Fire
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Faces Atlanta United Tomorrow on ESPN2 - Columbus Crew SC
- Alonso: "When the Road Is Tough, Only the Tough Ones WalkÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Inter Miami Falls to 1-0 Defeat to NYCFC in Final MLS Is Back Match - Inter Miami CF
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Toronto FC - New England Revolution
- The Montreal Impact Acquires Full-Back Mustafa Kizza - Montreal Impact
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: July 20, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Secures Passage to Knockout Round of MLS Is Back Tournament with 3-0 Victory over Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- 'Caps fall to rival Sounders in tourney action - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.