Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 20, 2020
The San Jose Earthquakes won Group B with an undefeated 2-0-1 record (7 pts.) after defeating Chicago Fire FC 2-0 on Sunday night and Vancouver Whitecaps FC 4-3 last Wednesday evening. The Quakes became the fifth team to clinch a berth in the MLS is Back Knockout Stage. The Earthquakes are now 2-1-2 in the regular season, tied for their best start through five matches since 2012 (2016).
San Jose will now get a short break before playing their Round of 16 match in the MLS is Back Knockout Stage. More information, including date and opponent, will be announced at a later date.
LAST GAME VS. CHICAGO
Group B Winners
The Earthquakes finished the Group Stage with an undefeated 2-0-1 record, winning Group B. The Quakes are the fifth team overall to clinch their spot in the Knockout Stage and the first to be crowned winners of their respective group.
Can't Stop Scoring
Forward Chris Wondolowski scored his second goal of the season and 161st of his MLS career, extending his own MLS record. He has scored 17 goals in his last 27 appearances dating back to May 2019. Wondolowski now has 11 career goals against Chicago, tied for third most against the club in MLS history.
Goalkeeper Daniel Vega recorded his second shutout of the 2020 MLS season and ninth of his MLS career. He is one of just four goalkeepers with multiple shutouts in the MLS is Back Tournament thus far.
Forward Danny Hoesen made his 100th appearance in MLS.
Defender Tommy Thompson and midfielders Carlos Fierro and Jackson Yueill each tallied their first assist of the season. Fierro's assist marked the first of his MLS career.
LAST GAME VS. VANCOUVER
Never Say Die
Wednesday's victory marked the Quakes' first comeback from two goals down since March 11, 2017, also against Vancouver.
Midfielder Shea Salinas scored his first goal of the season and 20th of his MLS career. It also marked his sixth career game-winning goal.
Forward Chris Wondolowski scored his first goal of the season, extending his own MLS record. He has now scored in 12 consecutive seasons (2009-20). Wondolowski has now scored 14 career goals against Vancouver, most in MLS history.
San Jose took 17 shots in the first half, the most in an MLS match since the Quakes took 25 against Vancouver on Aug. 24, 2019. The Quakes' 31 total shots are fourth most in club history, with three of the top four coming against Vancouver since the start of the 2019 season.
The Earthquakes have now defeated Vancouver in the last three straight meetings.
Corner Kicks Record
The Quakes took 22 corner kicks, a new MLS record.
Defender Oswaldo Alanis scored his second goal of the season and of his MLS career. He has now scored in two of his first four matches since joining the Quakes and is one of just three defenders in MLS with multiple goals this season.
Goal Streak against Vancouver
Forward Andy Rios scored his second goal of the season and third of his MLS career. Two of his three goals have come against Vancouver.
RENO 1868 FC UPDATE
Reno 1868 FC fell to Sacramento Republic FC Sunday night, despite a strong showing from new keeper Ben Beaury. After keeping Sacramento from scoring for 90 minutes, a penalty in stoppage time gave Sacramento the game's lone goal. More information about the match can be found here.
The 1-0 loss puts Reno at third in Group A with three points, behind Tacoma Defiance (four points) and Sacramento Republic FC (five points).
Reno will be back in action soon, with the second of four-straight road games to restart the season coming from Tacoma Defiance on Thursday, July 23 at 7:00 p.m. PT.
Reno also announced last Friday that the club had reached an agreement with ESPN Radio 94.5 to air all 2020 games. The 15 remaining USL Championship games will be called by Reno Aces broadcaster Zack Bayrouty.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 20, 2020
- Goal from Ilsinho earns Union another point in draw against Orlando - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City Wins Group A Following Draw with Philadelphia - Orlando City SC
- Loudoun United FC Fall 3-1 to Hartford Athletic on the Road - D.C. United
- Javier Hernandez Returns to LA, out for Remainder of MLS Is Back Tournament - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 20, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Conclude Group E Matches with Cincinnati on Wednesday - New York Red Bulls
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 0 Inter Miami CF - New York City FC
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: July 20-26 - Chicago Fire
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Faces Atlanta United Tomorrow on ESPN2 - Columbus Crew SC
- Alonso: "When the Road Is Tough, Only the Tough Ones WalkÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Inter Miami Falls to 1-0 Defeat to NYCFC in Final MLS Is Back Match - Inter Miami CF
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Toronto FC - New England Revolution
- The Montreal Impact Acquires Full-Back Mustafa Kizza - Montreal Impact
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: July 20, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Secures Passage to Knockout Round of MLS Is Back Tournament with 3-0 Victory over Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- 'Caps fall to rival Sounders in tourney action - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.