FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: July 20, 2020
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati will complete the group stage of the MLS is Back Tournament when they play the New York Red Bulls at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, July 22. The match will be televised on ESPN and ESPN Deportes (Spanish) and will be streamed on the Watch ESPN app.
The Orange and Blue (1-3-0, 3 pts.) are coming off their first win of the season, when they defeated Atlanta United FC, 1-0, on Thursday, July 16. Frankie Amaya recorded his first professional goal in spectacular fashion, by scoring the game-winning goal from outside the box, while PrzemysÅaw TytoÅ made three saves to earn the first shutout of the campaign for FCC.
The New York Red Bulls (2-1-1, 7 pts.) enter Wednesday's match after falling to Columbus Crew SC, 2-0, on Thursday, July 16. Gyasi Zardes and Lucas ZelarayÃ¡n tallied for Crew SC as the Red Bulls were held without a goal for the first time this season.
Cincinnati and New York will come in to the final match of the group stage tied for the second-most points among the four Group E teams. The top two teams in each of the six groups, as well as the top four third-place finishers, will advance to the knockout rounds.
Amaya scores first MLS goal in dramatic game-winning fashion
Midfielder Frankie Amaya scored his first professional goal in FC Cincinnati's 1-0 win against Atlanta United ... the goal was Amaya's first professional goal in 23 MLS regular-season appearances ... the midfielder has been a key player for the Orange and Blue in his second professional season, having played all but 11 minutes in four matches ... Amaya was selected by FC Cincinnati with the No. 1 overall selection in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft.
Stam cements first win as FCC head coach
Head Coach Jaap Stam earned his first win with FC Cincinnati in the club's 1-0 triumph over Atlanta United ... Stam became the second-fastest FC Cincinnati head coach to record a win ... Yoann Damet earned a win in his first match as head coach, while Alan Koch claimed a victory in his third match and Ron Jans recorded his first win in his sixth match at the helm ... Stam has now recorded a win as a head coach in Major League Soccer (FC Cincinnati), the EFL Championship (Reading) and the Eredivisie (PEC Zwolle, Feyenoord).
TytoÅ earns first shutout of 2020
Goalkeeper PrzemysÅaw TytoÅ became the first FC Cincinnati goalkeeper to record a shutout in 2020 ... TytoÅ made three saves in the Orange and Blue's 1-0 victory against Atlanta United FC on Thursday, July 16 ... last season, Spencer Richey became the first FCC goalkeeper to record a shutout in MLS when FCC blanked the Portland Timbers, 3-0, in the club's first-ever home match on March 17, 2019 ... TytoÅ has now registered four shutouts in his MLS career.
Regattin adds another assist against Atlanta
Winger Adrien Regattin became the first FCC player to record multiple assists in the 2020 season when he provided the game-winning assist on Frankie Amaya's goal against Atlanta United ... it was Regattin's second assist against the Five Stripes as he also set up Yuya Kubo's first-ever goal with FC Cincinnati at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on March 7 ... Regattin has made an appearance in all four of FC Cincinnati's matches.
Three players make MLS is Back Tournament debuts
FC Cincinnati's Joseph-Claude Gyau, Mathieu Deplagne and Maikel van der Werff made their first MLS is Back Tournament appearances in FCC's 1-0 win against Atlanta on Thursday, July 16 ... Gyau and van der Werff were unavailable for selection in FC Cincinnati's first match against Columbus out of precaution, while Deplagne was an unused substitute ... Gyau played 85 minutes at right wing back and created a team-high four chances in the match ... Deplagne played the full 90 minutes at right center back, while van der Werff played 70 minutes before having to be replaced because of injury.
Orange and Blue aim for advancement in MLS is Back Tournament
FC Cincinnati have three points through two group stage matches in the MLS is Back Tournament ... Columbus Crew SC lead Group E with six points, while the New York Red Bulls also have three points and Atlanta United FC have zero points ... with a win against New York, FC Cincinnati will secure advancement by finishing no worse than second place in the group ... with a draw, FC Cincinnati will finish in third place in the group behind New York on goal differential ... with a loss, FC Cincinnati could finish in either third place or fourth place, depending on the result of the match between Columbus and Atlanta ... The top two teams in each of the six groups, as well as the top four third-place finishers, will advance to the knockout rounds.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 20, 2020
- Goal from Ilsinho earns Union another point in draw against Orlando - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City Wins Group A Following Draw with Philadelphia - Orlando City SC
- Loudoun United FC Fall 3-1 to Hartford Athletic on the Road - D.C. United
- Javier Hernandez Returns to LA, out for Remainder of MLS Is Back Tournament - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 20, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Conclude Group E Matches with Cincinnati on Wednesday - New York Red Bulls
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 0 Inter Miami CF - New York City FC
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: July 20-26 - Chicago Fire
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Faces Atlanta United Tomorrow on ESPN2 - Columbus Crew SC
- Alonso: "When the Road Is Tough, Only the Tough Ones WalkÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Inter Miami Falls to 1-0 Defeat to NYCFC in Final MLS Is Back Match - Inter Miami CF
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Toronto FC - New England Revolution
- The Montreal Impact Acquires Full-Back Mustafa Kizza - Montreal Impact
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: July 20, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Secures Passage to Knockout Round of MLS Is Back Tournament with 3-0 Victory over Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- 'Caps fall to rival Sounders in tourney action - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.