'Caps fall to rival Sounders in tourney action
REUNION, FL - Seattle Sounders FC dealt a crucial blow to Vancouver Whitecaps FC's MLS is Back Tournament hopes on Sunday evening with a 3-0 victory at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.
The 'Caps round out their Group B schedule on Thursday morning against Chicago Fire FC, July 23. Kickoff is at 6 a.m. live on TSN and TSN Radio 1040. The 'Caps will need a win against Fire FC, as well as other results across the tournament to go their way, in order to advance. Also up for grabs are points that count toward the 2020 MLS regular season standings.
Despite winning the possession battle in the opening frame, the 'Caps went down 2-0 at halftime thanks in large part to Jordan Morris' strong performance for the Sounders. First, it was the winger's shot making contact with Jasser Khmiri's hand inside the box to earn Nicolas Lodeiro a penalty kick in the 16th minute. Then in the 34th minute, Morris was at it again, this time finding the net off a turnover at midfield.
Seattle added another score early in the second half, when Raul Ruidiaz provided the finishing touch on a corner kick for the final 3-0 score.
Already undermanned entering the tournament, the young 'Caps suffered another loss before the hour mark when goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau had to be subbed off due to a left-hand injury. 21-year old Homegrown product Thomas Hasal came on to make his MLS debut, providing a highlight when he stopped Ruidiaz and Lodeiro moments after entering the match.
Left back CristiÃ¡n Gutiérrez also came off the 'Caps bench to make his MLS appearance.
Referee: Robert Sibiga
16' - SEA - Nicolas Lodeiro (penalty kick)
34' - SEA - Jordan Morris (Nicolas Lodeiro)
51' - SEA - Raul Ruidiaz (Jordan Morris, Handwalla Bwana)
Possession: SEA 48.0% - VAN 52.0%
Shots: SEA 17 - VAN 8
Shots on Goal: SEA 7 - VAN 2
Saves: SEA 2 - VAN 4
Fouls: SEA 13 - VAN 7
Offsides: SEA 1 - VAN 0
Corners: SEA 8 - VAN 4
16' - VAN - Jasser Khmiri
30' - VAN - Yordy Reyna
40 - SEA - Kelvin Leerdam
Seattle Sounders FC
24.Stefan Frei, 18.Kelvin Leerdam (16.Alex Roldan 67'), 27.Shane O'Neill, 3.Xavier Arreaga (8.Jordy Delem 68'), 5.Nouhou Tolo; 4.Gustav Svennson (84.Joshua Atencio 90'), 7.Cristian Roldan; 70.Handwalla Bwana (37.Shandon Hopeau 79'), 10.Nicolas Lodeiro ©, 13.Jordan Morris (75.Danny Leyva 79'); 9.Raul Ruidiaz
Substitutes not used
1.Trey Muse, 30.Stefan Cleveland, 11.Miguel Ibarra, 45.Ethan Dobbelaere, 99.Justin Dhillon
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
16.Maxime Crépeau (51.Thomas Hasal 58'); 28.Jake Nerwinski, 20.Jasser Khmiri (3.CristiÃ¡n Gutiérrez 73'), 4.Ranko VeselinoviÄ, 53.Ali Adnan (13.Derek Cornelius 73'); 7.David MilinkoviÄ (14.Theo Bair 55'), 17.Leonard Owusu (27.Ryan Raposo 55'), 6.Inbeom Hwang, 31.Russell Teibert ©; 11.Cristian DÃ¡jome, 29.Yordy Reyna
Substitutes not used
32.Patrick Metcalfe, 54.Simon Colyn, 55.Michael Baldisimo, 62.Damiano Pecile
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 20, 2020
- Goal from Ilsinho earns Union another point in draw against Orlando - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City Wins Group A Following Draw with Philadelphia - Orlando City SC
- Loudoun United FC Fall 3-1 to Hartford Athletic on the Road - D.C. United
- Javier Hernandez Returns to LA, out for Remainder of MLS Is Back Tournament - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 20, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Conclude Group E Matches with Cincinnati on Wednesday - New York Red Bulls
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 0 Inter Miami CF - New York City FC
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: July 20-26 - Chicago Fire
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Faces Atlanta United Tomorrow on ESPN2 - Columbus Crew SC
- Alonso: "When the Road Is Tough, Only the Tough Ones WalkÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Inter Miami Falls to 1-0 Defeat to NYCFC in Final MLS Is Back Match - Inter Miami CF
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Toronto FC - New England Revolution
- The Montreal Impact Acquires Full-Back Mustafa Kizza - Montreal Impact
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: July 20, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Secures Passage to Knockout Round of MLS Is Back Tournament with 3-0 Victory over Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- 'Caps fall to rival Sounders in tourney action - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- 'Caps fall to Sounders in midweek tilt
- 'Caps rally behind Adnan, Ricketts goals for massive win
- Whitecaps FC's Nationwide Search for the ONe Commences on November 6
- 'Caps lose late to LA Galaxy on the road
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2023 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick from LAFC for 2020 International Roster Slot