Inter Miami Falls to 1-0 Defeat to NYCFC in Final MLS Is Back Match
Inter Miami CF completed its participation in the group stage of the MLS is Back Tournament with an early match against New York City FC. Inter Miami fell to a 1-0 defeat at the hands of NYCFC in the matchup that kicked off at 9 a.m. ET at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.
It was Inter Miami who threatened in attack right from the opening moments of the match, entering the NYCFC box through intricate buildup play from Designated Players MatÃas Pellegrini and Rodolfo Pizarro in the fourth minute. Six minutes later, the team had its first shot on target when a cross from rookie right back Dylan Nealis reached Juan Agudelo in the box; his header was heading towards the bottom corner of the net before NYCFC goalkeeper Sean Johnson made a diving save.
Inter Miami again threatened in the air in the 35th minute of the match when a precise left-footed Lewis Morgan free kick delivery reached the head of NicolÃ¡s Figal in the box. His header was also on target and saved by Johnson.
One of the final actions of the first half saw Inter Miami threaten on the ground when Morgan dribbled past a defender and struck a powerful right-footed shot across goal that flew just over the bar.
NYCFC pushed forward in the early stages of the second half; in the 56th minute RomÃ¡n Torres made a pair of crucial defensive interventions, stopping driving runs from New York attackers. A few minutes later Inter Miami looked to have a possible goal as Agudelo struck past the keeper, but he was called offside.
New York took the lead in the 64th minute when a long ball from Alexandru MitriÈÄ reached Ismael Tajouri-Shradi, whose shot found the back of the net.
Inter Miami looked to put pressure on by making a triple change in the 68th minute, bringing on Lee Nguyen, JuliÃ¡n Carranza and Ben Sweat for Pellegrini, Wil Trapp and Mikey Ambrose respectively.
Luis Robles made his first save of the match in the 72nd minute, diving low and to his left to make a save on a driven shot from Keaton Parks. Six minutes later the team made two more changes, bringing on Jay Chapman for Victor Ulloa and Alvas Powell for Dylan Nealis.
Torres made one more critical tackle in the 86th minute, tracking back and making a tackle on the last man down field after a long run. In the 90th minute, Agudelo was sent off after picking up a second yellow card.
Inter Miami had an extended spell of possession as the clock ticked down, but was unable to capitalize. The match remained 1-0 in favor of NYCFC at the final whistle.
Defenders Mikey Ambrose and Dylan Nealis, and forward Juan Agudelo returned to the starting lineup following one game away. The trio previously started in the opening match of the tournament against Orlando City SC. Young Colombian center back Andrés Reyes was unavailable for the match as he served a red card suspension.
With the loss Inter Miami is eliminated from the MLS is Back Tournament. MLS plans to return to regular season action following the completion of the tournament. Details are expected to be announced at a later date.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 20, 2020
- Goal from Ilsinho earns Union another point in draw against Orlando - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City Wins Group A Following Draw with Philadelphia - Orlando City SC
- Loudoun United FC Fall 3-1 to Hartford Athletic on the Road - D.C. United
- Javier Hernandez Returns to LA, out for Remainder of MLS Is Back Tournament - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 20, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Conclude Group E Matches with Cincinnati on Wednesday - New York Red Bulls
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 0 Inter Miami CF - New York City FC
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: July 20-26 - Chicago Fire
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Faces Atlanta United Tomorrow on ESPN2 - Columbus Crew SC
- Alonso: "When the Road Is Tough, Only the Tough Ones WalkÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Inter Miami Falls to 1-0 Defeat to NYCFC in Final MLS Is Back Match - Inter Miami CF
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Toronto FC - New England Revolution
- The Montreal Impact Acquires Full-Back Mustafa Kizza - Montreal Impact
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: July 20, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Secures Passage to Knockout Round of MLS Is Back Tournament with 3-0 Victory over Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- 'Caps fall to rival Sounders in tourney action - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Matuidi's Experience to Guide Team in High-Stakes Match
- Inter Miami CF to Visit Toronto FC on Sunday
- Inter Miami Unveils MLS End of Year Award Nominations
- Inter Miami CF Falls to FC Dallas 2-1 on the Road
- Inter Miami CF to Open Stadium to Limited Number of Season Ticket Members on November 8