Gladiators Weekly Update
Top of the Pack! Jeff Campbell posted his 24th goal of the season in last nights 6-2 win over the South Carolina Stingrays. Campbell now shares first in the ECHL among rookies in scoring with 49 points on the year. The Hensall, Ontario native also ranks first in goals scored in the ECHL among rookies with his 24 goals on the year.
Streaky: Gladiators forwards Kris Goodjohn and rookie Brad Schell both picked up goals in last nights 6-2 win against South Carolina. With the goals, each extended their respective point scoring streaks to 4 straight games. Goodjohn has scored 2 goals and 4 assists during his streak while Schell has posted a goal and 3 assists during the past 4 games. Goodjohn shares first with Peter Flache for longest consecutive streak at 8 games with at least a point this season.
Its Raining Goals: The Gladiators tied a team high for goals scored in a game as they posted 8 in Fridays 8-2 win over the Augusta Lynx. Gwinnett got goal from 7 different scorers in the win as Randy Dagenais, the only multiple goal scorer, posted 2 tallies in the win. It was the third time in Gladiators team history that Gwinnett posted 8 goals in a game. The Gladiators picked up 8 goals in an 8-4 win over South Carolina on November 25th while the first time Gwinnett recorded 8 goals in a game was in an 8-0 win over the Texas Wildcatters on March 26, 2004. The all time team record for most goals scored in a game is 12 posted by the Mobile Mysticks in a 12-5 win over the Huntington Blizzard on February 4, 1997.
The Big Winners! Chris Durno recorded his 4th game winning goal of the season in the Gladiators 8-4 win over the Augusta Lynx on Friday and now shares first on the Gladiators in that category with Mike Vigilante. Durno finished last season with 2 game winning goals on the year.
A Hero Returns! Paul Flache, the hero for the Gladiators in game 4 of the Central Division finals scoring the double overtime game winning goal to clinch the series against the Louisiana IceGators, was assigned to the Gladiators on Friday from their American Hockey League affiliate, the Chicago Wolves. Flache joined his brother Paul on the Gladiators and played in all three games this weekend picking up a goal and 2 assists for Gwinnett.
Last Weeks Games: 2-1-0, 4 pts.
February 25th, Gladiators 8, Augusta 2 W
Chris Durno scored what proved to be the game winner in a 5-goal Gladiators 1st period in the win. Randy Dagenais posted 2 goals in the win while Mike Stathopoulos recorded 3 assists in the win for the Gladiators. Mike Vigilante extended his point scoring streak to 7 consecutive games with at least a point. Gwinnett held the Lynx off the board on the power play pushing their consecutive penalty kill streak to 31 consecutive kills. Jeff Campbell recorded his 22nd goal of the season to lead the Gladiators in that category. 12 different players picked up at least a point for Gwinnett in the win.
February 26th, Augusta 5, Gladiators 2 L
Andrew Oke recorded his 4th goal of the season for the Gladiators to tie the game at 2-2 in the second period. Augusta scored three times in the third to pick up the win. Jeff Campbell added to his team lead in goals scored with his 23rd goal, the Gladiators first of the game. Paul Flache recorded his first goal of the season for the Gladiators in the loss while Randy Dagenais, Brad Schell, and Kris Goodjohn also picked up assists for Gwinnett in the loss.
February 27th, Gladiators 6, South Carolina 2 - W
Jeff Campbell added to his team lead in goals scored with his 24th on the season. Kris Goodjohn posted his first game winner of the season to push his consecutive point scoring streak to 4 straight games. Brad Schell also extended his point scoring streak to 4 games with a late third period goal. After a voided trade with Texas, Alex Sawruk returned to the Gladiators lineup and posted his 3rd goal of the season in the win. Paul Flache had a power play goal and an assist for Gwinnett while Mike Stathopoulos scored the games first goal. Sean Fields made 35 saves in the win to improve to 12-6-1 on the year as the Gladiators went 1-for-1 on the power play. Jim Jackson also had 2 assists for Gwinnett in the win.
This Weeks Games:
Friday, March 4th, @ Mississippi Sea Wolves, 8:35 p.m. WDUN News Talk 550
The Gladiators make their last trip of the regular season to Biloxi to take on the Mississippi Sea Wolves. Gwinnett is 2-2-1 this season against the Sea Wolves but lead the all time series 31-21-6 against Mississippi. Brad Schell leads Gwinnett in scoring against Mississippi with 6 points off of a goal and 5 assists this year.
Saturday, March 5th, vs. Texas Wildcatters, 7:35 p.m. wdun.com
Its Family Day at the Arena at Gwinnett Center sponsored by 104.7FM The Fish, CBS46 and Pizza Hut. Gwinnett is a perfect 3-0-0 against the Wildcatters and 4-0-0 all time against Texas. In those 4 games, Gwinnett has outscored Texas by a combined 21-8.
This Week's Practice Schedule: Practices at the IceForum in Duluth are open to the general public. Arena at Gwinnett Center practices are not open to the general public. Media members wishing to attend practice at the Arena should contact the Gladiators PR staff at 770-497-5106.
Monday: Day Off
Tuesday: 11:15 a.m. 12:45 p.m. Ice Forum Duluth
Wednesday: 11:15 a.m. 12:45 p.m. Ice Forum Duluth
Thursday: 11:15 a.m. 12:45 p.m. Ice Forum Duluth
Friday: Game @ Mississippi
Saturday: Game vs. Texas
Sunday: day off
The Central Division Champion Gwinnett Gladiators continue their second season at the Arena at Gwinnett Center on Friday, February 25th against the Augusta Lynx at 7:35 p.m. The Gladiators offer several ticket packages for different needs as well as group outings, suites and birthday parties. For more information call 770-497-5100 or log on to www.gwinnettgladiators.com.
The Gladiators play all 36 home games at the Arena at Gwinnett Center located on Sugarloaf Parkway in Duluth and are the AA affiliate of the Atlanta Thrashers.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 28, 2005
- Ron Filion Named Roadrunners Head Coach - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Fresno Falcons Weekly Update - Fresno Falcons
- Wheeling Nailers Week In Review - Wheeling Nailers
- Condors acquire Brunelle from Dayton - Bakersfield Condors
- Birbraer Named Gulls' Player Of The Month - San Diego Gulls
- North Division Playoff Race Deadlocked - ECHL
- ECHL This Week - ECHL
- Two Out Of Three Marks Week For Lynx - Augusta Lynx
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Ice Dogs Weekly - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Checkers continue to lead East Division - Charlotte Checkers
- Ice Pilots Have Best Record In The League At 37-13-4 For 78 Points - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Jeff Deslauriers Recalled by Edmonton - Greenville Grrrowl
- Ice Pilots Host Deep Sea Fishing Trip - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- A Dog Fight For First - Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies
- Johnstown Chiefs Weekly - Johnstown Chiefs
- Get Fed By The Storm At Max & Ermas Maumee - Toledo Walleye
- Storm weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Titans join logjam in division - Trenton Devils
- Scorers return as Condors roll up pair of wins - Bakersfield Condors
- Gulls five games out of playoff spot - San Diego Gulls
- Royals move to within one point of first place - Reading Royals
- Steelheads weekly update - Idaho Steelheads
- Gators go 1-1-2 during a roller coaster week - Louisiana IceGators
- Mississippi Registers Six-Point Week - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Pee Dee Pride Weekly - Myrtle Beach Thunderboltz
- Aces win 4-3, take over first place - Alaska Aces
- Stingrays Finish Week 2-2-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Gladiators Stories
- Jerry James Promoted to Team President
- Glads Rally for Postseason Falls Just Short
- Predators Prospect Inks Deal with Atlanta
- South Carolina Survives with Home Victory Setting up Winner-Take-All Game Tomorrow
- Bonar Steals Crucial Point for Atlanta with Miraculous Performance in Net