Scorers return as Condors roll up pair of wins
Friday, Condors 5 vs. LONG BEACH ICE DOGS 0
Yutaka Fukufuji stopped 42 shots, including 19 in the second period alone, as the Bakersfield Condors snapped a three-game skid with a 5-0 thumping of the first place Long Beach Ice Dogs on Friday night. The Condors were bolstered by the return of their top two scorers to the lineup, including Kevin St. Jacques, who put home two goals and an assist in his return from an elbow injury that forced him aside for four games. Vlad Serov and Brad Mehalko also had three assists apiece.
Saturday, CONDORS 6 vs. San Diego Gulls 4; attn: 8,562
In front of the third-largest crowd in Condors history, Team Captain Paul Rosebush led Bakersfield to a 6-4 victory over the San Diego Gulls with a hat trick. Defenseman Ryan Coole broke out of a season- long scoring slump to post the game winning goal and a pair of assists as well. Yutaka Fukufuji picked up his 20th victory of the season.
Where we stand
The Alaska Aces have secured a one-point lead atop the West Division with 74 points and Long Beach has slipped to second with a pair of weekend losses and 73 points. Bakersfield, at 31-15-8, has 70 points and sits in third place with a game in hand. Three of the top four point totals in the 28-team ECHL come from the West Division.
What's up this week
The Condors travel to Fresno on Tuesday night for a 7:00 p.m. start and return home for Student ID Night on Wednesday for another match with the San Diego Gulls, also a 7:00 p.m. game. Sponsored by WB-12, 106.1 KRAB Radio and the University of Phoenix, Student ID Night allows all junior high, high school and college students to purchase lower level seats for just $1 by presenting their valid student ID, based on availability.
The Condors head north of the border this weekend with their final two matches of the season against the Victoria Salmon Kings on Friday and Saturday, both 7:00 p.m. contests.
All Condors games, home and away, can be heard live on KGEO AM 1230, online at the official Condors website at www.bakersfieldcondors.com. Tuesday's game in Fresno and Wednesday's home game are also available for viewing through B2 Networks, following the link on the official Condors website.
News from the Nest
· Saturday's crowd of 8,562 was the third largest in Condors history. It was the second time this season that the third largest crowd has been surpassed and the third time this year that over 8,000 fans have packed the Rabobank Arena. At 5,244 fans per game, Condors attendance is up 16.2% from last season.
· Paul Rosebush netted the second hat trick of the season for the Condors on Saturday. Vlad Serov had the other trick on 2/12. Rosebush now leads the team with 17 goals, has 123 in his Condors career, and with seven more tallies can tie Paul Willett for third on Bakersfield's all-time list.
· Rookie Yutaka Fukufuji has three shutouts on the season, one shy of the Condors record, held by Scott Hay (01-02) and Kevin St. Pierre (02-03). He also has 20 wins on the season for the third- highest single season total in team history. He already owns Condors rookie records in wins and shutouts and broke the Condors record for longest unbeaten streak when he went 12 games without a regulation loss (9-0-3).
· C Mike Hofstrand and LW Todd Alexander set single-season Condors highs with a +4 on Saturday night.
· D Ryan Coole had gone 34 games without a point this season until Saturday night, when he blasted home the game winning goal and helped set up two first period tallies.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 28, 2005
- Ron Filion Named Roadrunners Head Coach - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Fresno Falcons Weekly Update - Fresno Falcons
- Wheeling Nailers Week In Review - Wheeling Nailers
- Condors acquire Brunelle from Dayton - Bakersfield Condors
- Birbraer Named Gulls' Player Of The Month - San Diego Gulls
- North Division Playoff Race Deadlocked - ECHL
- ECHL This Week - ECHL
- Two Out Of Three Marks Week For Lynx - Augusta Lynx
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Ice Dogs Weekly - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Checkers continue to lead East Division - Charlotte Checkers
- Ice Pilots Have Best Record In The League At 37-13-4 For 78 Points - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Jeff Deslauriers Recalled by Edmonton - Greenville Grrrowl
- Ice Pilots Host Deep Sea Fishing Trip - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- A Dog Fight For First - Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies
- Johnstown Chiefs Weekly - Johnstown Chiefs
- Get Fed By The Storm At Max & Ermas Maumee - Toledo Walleye
- Storm weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Titans join logjam in division - Trenton Devils
- Scorers return as Condors roll up pair of wins - Bakersfield Condors
- Gulls five games out of playoff spot - San Diego Gulls
- Royals move to within one point of first place - Reading Royals
- Steelheads weekly update - Idaho Steelheads
- Gators go 1-1-2 during a roller coaster week - Louisiana IceGators
- Mississippi Registers Six-Point Week - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Pee Dee Pride Weekly - Myrtle Beach Thunderboltz
- Aces win 4-3, take over first place - Alaska Aces
- Stingrays Finish Week 2-2-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.