Condors acquire Brunelle from Dayton
Bakersfield, Calif. - The Bakersfield Condors made an effort to bolster their offensive attack with the acquisition of LW Mathieu Brunelle from the Dayton Bombers in exchange for LW Todd Alexander. Brunelle will join the team in time for Tuesday's game in Fresno.
Brunelle, 21, has 14 goals and 29 points in 50 games this season for Dayton and Trenton, where he started the season. The Warwick, Quebec native was drafted in the 7th round of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft by the Philadelphia Flyers and made his professional debut last season. With the Titans in 2003-04, Brunelle put up 26 goals and 56 points in 60 games to go with 100 penalty minutes. He also appeared in seven games with the Philadelphia Phantoms in the American Hockey League.
Brunelle notched 81 goals and 194 points in his final two seasons of junior hockey with Victoriaville and Hull in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. On February 3rd, he was acquired by Dayton from Trenton in exchange for D Michael Schutte.
Alexander, 25, was in his second pro season, both with the Condors. He had 11 goals and 26 points in 51 games with Bakersfield. In his time with the Condors, Alexander had become one of the more popular players with the fans, a fact acknowledged by Head Coach Marty Raymond.
"This is a trade that involves two players both teams need," said Raymond. "We did it because we are really in need of a first line winger. Mathieu has a lot of skill and will help our offense down the stretch, in the playoffs and our run for a championship. Todd has done great things for us and Bakersfield, he's a great kid and it's one of the most difficult moves I've ever had to make. Of all the players on our team, Todd's name has come up more than anyone in possible deals from other teams."
The Condors travel to Fresno on Tuesday night for a 7:00 p.m. start and return home for Student ID Night on Wednesday for another match with the San Diego Gulls, also a 7:00 p.m. game. Sponsored by WB-12, 106.1 KRAB Radio and the University of Phoenix, Student ID Night allows all junior high, high school and college students to purchase lower level seats for just $1, based on availability.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 28, 2005
- Ron Filion Named Roadrunners Head Coach - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Fresno Falcons Weekly Update - Fresno Falcons
- Wheeling Nailers Week In Review - Wheeling Nailers
- Condors acquire Brunelle from Dayton - Bakersfield Condors
- Birbraer Named Gulls' Player Of The Month - San Diego Gulls
- North Division Playoff Race Deadlocked - ECHL
- ECHL This Week - ECHL
- Two Out Of Three Marks Week For Lynx - Augusta Lynx
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Ice Dogs Weekly - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Checkers continue to lead East Division - Charlotte Checkers
- Ice Pilots Have Best Record In The League At 37-13-4 For 78 Points - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Jeff Deslauriers Recalled by Edmonton - Greenville Grrrowl
- Ice Pilots Host Deep Sea Fishing Trip - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- A Dog Fight For First - Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies
- Johnstown Chiefs Weekly - Johnstown Chiefs
- Get Fed By The Storm At Max & Ermas Maumee - Toledo Walleye
- Storm weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Titans join logjam in division - Trenton Devils
- Scorers return as Condors roll up pair of wins - Bakersfield Condors
- Gulls five games out of playoff spot - San Diego Gulls
- Royals move to within one point of first place - Reading Royals
- Steelheads weekly update - Idaho Steelheads
- Gators go 1-1-2 during a roller coaster week - Louisiana IceGators
- Mississippi Registers Six-Point Week - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Pee Dee Pride Weekly - Myrtle Beach Thunderboltz
- Aces win 4-3, take over first place - Alaska Aces
- Stingrays Finish Week 2-2-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bakersfield Condors Stories
- Condors Nipped Late by San Jose, 4-3
- Condors Claw Back for a Point with Third Period Comeback
- Condors Home Tonight with the Futboleros and a Player Red Carpet
- Condors Open Season with 2-1 Win over San Diego
- Condors Open Season with $2 Michelob Ultras and $1 Dogs Tonight