Two Out Of Three Marks Week For Lynx
The Augusta Lynx split a home and home series with the Gwinnett Gladiators this weekend before rounding out the week with a 3-2 shootout victory over the streaking Greenville Grrrowl for a 2-1-0 record and four of a possible six points.
Friday night the Lynx couldnt seem to get things to go their way at all in an 8-2 loss. Colt King and Louis Goulet scored the only goals of the game for Augusta, who scored twice in the third to kill the shutout bid for Adam Berkhoel.
Saturday was an entirely different story for the Lynx, as they would grab a two goal lead after the first period on goals by Jamie Johnson and Joe Markusen, his first pro goal. Gwinnett rallied to tie the game at 2-2 with a pair of markers in the third period, setting the stage for a game-breaking third period. Jamie Johnson notched his second of the game for the eventual game winner, followed by Dan Sullivan and John Cronin for a 5-2 win. Jason Saal earned the win with 21 saves for the Lynx, who are now 3-2-1 against Gwinnett this season.
Sunday, Greenville returned to town looking for a measure of revenge against the Lynx, and jumped out to a 2-0 lead in their quest before Matt Dzieduszycki scored an unassisted goal at the end of the second period to give Augusta life at 2-1. In the third, the Lynx pressed for the equalizer, and finally capitalized on a power play at 18:45 of the final frame when Jamie Johnsons shot rang in off the post behind goaltender Jeff Deslauriers. No scoring in OT pushed the game to a shootout where Augusta scored twice and Jason Saal closed the door on all four Greenville shooters for the win. The Lynx finish with four of a possible six points on the week, and now sit nine points behind Mississippi for the eighth and final playoff spot in the American Conference.
Friday, February 25th @ Columbia
Saturday, February 26th @ Columbia
The Lynx and Inferno renew acquaintances for the fourth and fifth times this season, with a total of seven meetings on the year. Jason Saal leads the Lynx into the game with a 2-1-0 mark, two shutouts, a 1.01 GAA and .965 save percentage against Columbia. The Infernos only win over the Lynx came back on November 27th, when DArcy McConvey scored twice to lead his team to the victory. Jamie Johnson leads Augusta with three goals and five points against the Inferno this season.
Sunday, February 27th @ Pee Dee
Two teams heading in opposite directions meet for the final time this year in Florence, SC Sunday. The Pride took the first five games from Augusta, four in regulation, until the Lynx managed a 6-2 win in a penalty filled game on February 19th. Recently the Pride have slipped out of the playoffs while Augusta is gearing up for a late charge, going 7-2-2 in February. Pee Dee only sits four points ahead of the Lynx for ninth in the American Conference.
Lynx In The Community/Upcoming Promotions
· Tuesday @ Columbia Elementary School READING IS COOL AS ICE, 1 pm
· Wednesday @ Belair Elementary READING IS COOL AS ICE, 1:15 pm
· John Cronin skated in his 100th game as a pro against Gwinnett on Saturday and then scored the 1,500th goal in Lynx franchise history in a 5-2 win.
· Dan Sullivan played in his 100th pro game Sunday against Greenville, recording a goal and an assist.
Goals Jamie Johnson (19)
Assists Jamie Johnson (42)
Points Jamie Johnson (61)
PIMs Regan Darby (169)
Plus/Minus Ken Magowan (+4)
PP Goals Todd Bennett (9)
SH Goals Matt Dzieduszycki (4)
GWG Todd Bennett, Jamie Johnson (4)
Wins Jason Saal (16)
GAA Jason Saal (2.56)
Save % - Jason Saal (.917)
Send Us Your Questions!
Fans If you want to submit your question for Lynx coaches or players via email, just log on to www.augustalynx.com and click on the FanZone and look for our Ask A Player or Ask A Coach question forms. Emails will be selected and read on the air during the Behind The Bench Coachs Show broadcast live from Wild Wing Café on Monday nights at 7 pm!
Behind The Bench Coachs Show
The Behind The Bench Coachs Show returns tonight, Monday, February 28th from Wild Wing Café, 3035 Washington Rd. in Augusta. You can call in your questions live on the air at (706) 863-4047, or #1630 on your Alltel wireless phone the call is free. Tune in live every week on your Home for Lynx Hockey, NEWSTALKSPORTS 1630!
Augustas next home game will be on Saturday, March 18th against the Greenville Grrrowl at 7:35 pm, followed by a pair of games with Texas on Sunday and Tuesday. Tickets are on sale now through the Augusta Lynx office at 712 Telfair St. by calling (706) 724-4ICE, all TicketMaster locations, or on line at www.TicketMaster.com.
Record 21-25-7 (49 points, 10th Eastern Conference)
Week In Review:
2/25 @ GWT 8-2 loss Louis Goulet, Colt King goal each
2/26 vs. GWT 5-2 win Jamie Johnson 2g, 1a; Joe Markusen first pro goal
2/27 vs. GRV 3-2 SOW Matt Dzieduszycki, Jamie Johnson goals; Saal - 24 saves
Mar. 4th @ CBA 7:30 pm 7:05 pm WRDW-AM 1630, www.augustalynx.com
Mar. 5th @ CBA 7:30 pm 7:05 pm WRDW-AM 1630, www.augustalynx.com
Mar. 6th @ PD 2:30 pm 2:05 pm WRDW-AM 1630, www.augustalynx.com
All Games Broadcast Live through www.augustalynx.com!
Next Coachs Show: Wild Wing Café Monday, February 28th @ 7 pm WRDW-AM 1630
(706) 724-4ICE Full, Partial Season Tickets Single Game Seats Group Outings (706) 724-4ICE
Preferred Level - $14; Lower Level - $13; Mezzanine $10
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 28, 2005
- Ron Filion Named Roadrunners Head Coach - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Fresno Falcons Weekly Update - Fresno Falcons
- Wheeling Nailers Week In Review - Wheeling Nailers
- Condors acquire Brunelle from Dayton - Bakersfield Condors
- Birbraer Named Gulls' Player Of The Month - San Diego Gulls
- North Division Playoff Race Deadlocked - ECHL
- ECHL This Week - ECHL
- Two Out Of Three Marks Week For Lynx - Augusta Lynx
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Ice Dogs Weekly - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Checkers continue to lead East Division - Charlotte Checkers
- Ice Pilots Have Best Record In The League At 37-13-4 For 78 Points - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Jeff Deslauriers Recalled by Edmonton - Greenville Grrrowl
- Ice Pilots Host Deep Sea Fishing Trip - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- A Dog Fight For First - Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies
- Johnstown Chiefs Weekly - Johnstown Chiefs
- Get Fed By The Storm At Max & Ermas Maumee - Toledo Walleye
- Storm weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Titans join logjam in division - Trenton Devils
- Scorers return as Condors roll up pair of wins - Bakersfield Condors
- Gulls five games out of playoff spot - San Diego Gulls
- Royals move to within one point of first place - Reading Royals
- Steelheads weekly update - Idaho Steelheads
- Gators go 1-1-2 during a roller coaster week - Louisiana IceGators
- Mississippi Registers Six-Point Week - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Pee Dee Pride Weekly - Myrtle Beach Thunderboltz
- Aces win 4-3, take over first place - Alaska Aces
- Stingrays Finish Week 2-2-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.