Gladiators Bring Roy Back After Career Season
DULUTH, Ga. - The Atlanta Gladiators announced on Thursday that the team has signed forward Hugo Roy for the 2022-23 season. Roy is the sixth player and the fourth forward to sign with the Gladiators for the upcoming campaign.
"I know there are a lot of Hugo Roy fans in Atlanta," said Team President Jerry James. "He's a great talent at this level, and that was on full display last season."
Roy, 24, turned in a career-best 30 points (21G-9A) in 2021-22 with the Gladiators. His play in Atlanta earned him seven games in the American Hockey League with the Belleville Senators where he recorded his first AHL goal on Feb. 12. Roy had one of the hottest stretches of any Gladiators player last season when he notched eight goals in nine games from Nov. 25 to Dec. 11.
Hugo Roy photo link "He's a dynamic player that got a little taste of the AHL and can bring that experience back to the locker room," offered Head Coach Jeff Pyle. "Hugo's an amazing skater with a nose for the net. He finds big goals and leads by example."
The 6-foot-1, 185-pound forward will be entering his fourth full professional season in 2022-23. Roy initially turned pro in the 2018-19 season by appearing in three AHL games with the Milwaukee Admirals and seven games with the Gladiators.
ï»¿"I'm very excited to come back to Atlanta," said Roy. "The organization has done a great job of keeping our group from last year intact, and I can't wait to build off of the success from that season."
The Fleurimont, Quebec native racked up 22 goals and 21 assists in 99 games with the Florida Everblades from 2019 to 2021 before joining the Gladiators prior to the 2021-22 season.
Roy joins Tim Davison (D), Gabe Guertler (F), Eric Neiley (F), Cody Sylvester (F), and Derek Topatigh (D) as players to have signed with the Gladiators for 2022-23.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from August 4, 2022
- Adirondack Inks Goaltender Jake Theut - Adirondack Thunder
- Gladiators Bring Roy Back After Career Season - Atlanta Gladiators
- Stingrays Agree to Terms with Familiar Foe Jackson Keane - South Carolina Stingrays
- Iowa Wild & Rockford IceHogs Bring AHL Hockey to Xtream Arena October 6 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Icemen Add a Pair of Defensemen with Hanson & Less - Jacksonville Icemen
- Mavericks Sign Defenseman Nate Knoepke - Kansas City Mavericks
- Luke McInnis Back for Third Season with Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies Sign Defenseman Brycen Martin - Utah Grizzlies
- Chris Cameron Re-Signs with Indy Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Admirals Re-Sign Veteran Defenseman Schaus - Norfolk Admirals
- Carpenter Returns to Everblades - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Re-Sign Forward Anthony Collins - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Gladiators Stories
- Glads Weekly
- Neiley's Three-Point Night Pushes Glads Past Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Open Weekend on the Road in Greenville
- Swamp Rabbits Edge Gladiators
- Theisen Reassigned to Atlanta