Gardner Promoted To AAA Scranton-Wilkes/Barre
(Trenton, NJ)- The Trenton Thunder, Class AA Affiliate of the N.Y. Yankees, announced today that OF Brett Gardner has been promoted to Scranton-Wilkes/Barre (Triple-A) and OF Bronson Sardinha has been transferred to Trenton.
Gardner, the 10th rated prospect in the Yankees Minor League System according to Baseball America, has a .300 BA in 54 games for the Thunder with 17 RBI, and 18 stolen bases. He is tied for fifth in the Eastern League in stolen bases. During the month of June, Gardner hit .385 in 22 games including 16 runs and 30 hits. Trenton had a 40-13 record with Gardner in the line-up this season. With Gardner out of the line-up, the Thunder had a 17-18 mark. Gardner missed time with a broken bone in his hand this season.
Gardner split the 2006 season between Tampa (High-A) and Trenton. With the Thunder, he compiled a .272 BA in 55 games with 13 RBI and 28 stolen bases. He started the season with Tampa and earned Florida State League all-star honors by batting .323 in 63 games with 22 RBI. At the time of his call-up, he was third in the Florida State League in batting average and led the league in stolen bases with 30. Gardner also was second in the league in walks with 47.
In 2005, he hit .284 with five home runs and 32 RBI in 73 games for the Staten Island Yankees (New York Penn League) helping them win the New York Penn League championship. Gardner was selected by the Yankees in the third round of the 2005 draft from the College of Charleston. He was a third-team All American in 2005.
Sardinha, the 28th rated prospect in the Yankees Minor League System according to Baseball America, had a .222 BA with eight home runs and 38 RBI for Scranton-Wilkes/Barre in 83 games. He split last season between Columbus (Triple-A) and Trenton. He hit .286 BA in 52 games with six home runs and 27 RBI for the Clippers. In Trenton he had a .254 with 10 home runs and 40 RBI in 86 games. On July 2nd, 2006 he had a career-high five hits against the Portland Sea Dogs.
Sardinha batted .258 with 12 HR and 68 RBI in 133 games for the Thunder during 2005. He also appeared in 72 games for the Thunder in 2004. He has two brothers playing in Minor League Baseball, Dane (Detroit) and Duke (Colorado). Sardinha was originally selected by the Yankees in the 1st round of the 2001 draft.
Trenton begins a four-game series tonight against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats, the Double-A affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays. Game time is 7:05 p.m. RHP Ian Kennedy (5-1, 2.43) starts for the Thunder against New Hampshire's LHP Ricky Romero (0-2, 4.15). Tickets are available by calling 609-394-3300 or online at www.trentonthunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 12, 2007
- Sea Dogs Rock Cats Late, 4-3 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Aeros Rip Curve, 10-4 - Altoona Curve
- Hit Batter Costs Defenders - Connecticut Defenders
- Sardinha Helps Thunder Win 11th Straight - Trenton Thunder
- Fisher Cats fall 6-4 in Trenton - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Tejada Slam Lifts Phillies - Reading Fightin Phils
- B-Mets Lose Pitchers' Duel - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Kown Goes Distance as SeaWolves Win Fourth Straight - Erie SeaWolves
- Clynk Teams With Sea Dogs for New Recycling Program - Portland Sea Dogs
- All-Star Balester Moves - Harrisburg Senators
- SeaWolves Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Senators Game Notes - Harrisburg Senators
- Gardner Promoted To AAA Scranton-Wilkes/Barre - Trenton Thunder
- Chad Spann Added to Sea Dogs Roster - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- 2019 Season to Feature 22 Fireworks Shows at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Thunder GM/COO Jeff Hurley Named Eastern League Executive of the Year
- River Fest to Feature Fall Draft Selections and Special Food Items
- Trenton Thunder to participate in 2019 "Copa de la Diverson"
- Season Ends with Sweep at Hands of Fisher Cats