Garcia Shuts Down Fightins in 3-0 Win
READING, PA - Rony Garcia dealt eight scoreless innings to lead the Thunder to a 3-0 win over the Reading Fightin Phils on Friday night at FirstEnergy Stadium.
Garcia followed up his career-long outing of 7.2 IP against Hartford on July 4th with another career-long start on Friday night. After allowing a third inning single to Mickey Moniak, Garcia proceeded to retire 16-of-17 batters in a dominating performance. He scattered four singles over his eight inning outing and didn't walk a batter for a second consecutive start. The 21-year-old right-hander from Mao in the Dominican Republic matched his season-high with eight strikeouts and delivered 108 pitches in the win.
The Thunder grabbed an early 1-0 lead when Kyle Holder tripled and then scored on Chris Gittens' single through a drawn-in infield. Holder's second triple of the season gave him a career-high 26 extra base hits for the season on a night in which he also drew two walks.
Ben Ruta started a fourth inning rally for the Thunder that led to two runs. Ruta stole second and later scored on an RBI double from Matt Lipka to make it 2-0. After a fly out by Brandon Wagner, Jorge Saez reached on an error by 2B Jose Gomez that allowed Lipka to trot in and score and extend the lead.
David Parkinson was charged with the loss after going four innings in his start. Jonathan Hennigan, Garrett Cleavinger and Josh Tols completed the night on the mound for Reading with five scoreless innings of relief.
Daniel Alvarez recorded his 11th save of the season with a scoreless ninth inning, working around a single and a walk to nail down the win.
Your Thunder continue their road trip on Saturday night at 6:45pm against the FIghtin Phils. RHP Brian Keller (0-0, 3.45) will start for the Thunder, Reading's starter is to be announced. Pre-game coverage begins at 6:30pm on 920 AM The Jersey and online www.TrentonThunder.com/Broadcast.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 12, 2019
- SeaWolves Strike out 18 on Friday - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Set Record in 1-0 Win over Erie - Altoona Curve
- Late Inning Heroics Carry Baysox over Akron in Extras - Bowie Baysox
- Nick Banks Leads Sens to 6-3 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- RubberDucks Beaten by Bowie Rallies - Akron RubberDucks
- Binghamton Has the Right Stuff in 5-0 Win over Portland - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Pitching Leads to Pair of Shutout Wins in Portland - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Reading Blanked by Garcia, Thunder - Reading Fightin Phils
- Kevin Smith Homers Twice as Fisher Cats Win Fourth Straight - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Garcia Shuts Down Fightins in 3-0 Win - Trenton Thunder
- Cats Snuff out Yard Goats Comeback Bid - Hartford Yard Goats
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs. Richmond - Harrisburg Senators
- Curve Return Home for Weekday Series against Trenton - Altoona Curve
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #87/88 Rumble Ponies (9-13) at Portland Sea Dogs (9-11) - 5:30PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Homestand Preview #9: a Promo Smorgasbord - Bowie Baysox
- Rumble Ponies and Baysox Combining Forces for Dream, Disability, and Do Camp on July 27th - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Yard Goats to Host 2nd Annual Disability Dream & Do Baseball Camp on Saturday - Hartford Yard Goats
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 12th vs. Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve, SeaWolves Set Game Time for July 23 Double-Header - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- River Fest Features New Food and Drink Items; Pork Roll Eating Championship Competitors Revealed
- Thunder Beat Bowie to Win League Title
- Hoy Steals Home Thunder Win, Take 2-1 Series Lead
- Thunder Fall to Baysox, Series Tied 1-1
- Thunder Bounce Back over Bowie for Game 1 Win