Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs Round Rock Express
San Antonio Missions (17-13) vs. Round Rock Express (17-12)
Game #31/Home Game #16
Monday, May 6, 11:05 a.m.
Nelson Wolff Stadium
MiLB.tv / KONO 860 AM
RHP Zack Brown (1-3, 4.18) vs. LHP Ryan Hartman (3-0, 4.09)
It's Gettin' Hot in Hiura: Keston Hiura has hit safely in five straight games and is batting .529 (9-for-17) with 6 runs, 3 doubles, 3 home runs, and 7 RBI in that span. He has also walked four times and cut down on his strikeouts. He has gone four games without going down on strikes. Hiura is among the PCL leaders in extra-base hits (1st, 23), doubles (T-1st, 12), total bases (2nd, 81), slugging (3rd, .757), home runs (T-4th, 10), hits (T-4th, 37), and OPS (5th, 1.150). He has nine multi-hit games, which is tops on the Missions.
Never Out of It: Yesterday's completion of Friday's suspended game saw the Missions overcome a five-run deficit to win, which was their largest comeback of the season. San Antonio trailed 6-1 entering the bottom of the fourth inning when the game was suspended on Friday and they came back to tie the game at 6-6. They then overcome a 9-7 deficit in the ninth inning and won on Jake Hager's walk-off hit. It was the third walk-off of the season for San Antonio. It was also the first time the Missions won a game this season when trailing after the sixth, seventh, or eighth innings. With the win, the Missions became the final team in the PCL to pick up a victory when trailing after seven innings. RISPY Business: The San Antonio Missions have thrived with two outs this season. 58 of the 133 RBI (43.6%) for the Missions this season have come with two outs. Keston Hiura leads the team with 13 two-out RBI. Tyrone Taylor has 10. With runners in scoring position and two outs San Antonio is batting .297, which is fourth-best in the PCL behind Reno (.319), Memphis (.312), and Salt Lake (.302).
Six for Spangy: Cory Spangenberg is currently on a team-high six-game hitting streak. In those six games he is batting .350 (7-for-20) with 6 runs, 3 doubles, and an RBI. The streak has raised his batting average from .182 to .221. He has also scored a run in eight of his last 11 games.
Trials and Tribulations: San Antonio's clean up hitter, Tyrone Taylor has found himself in a bit of a funk as of late. The outfielder has failed to reach base in his last five games (0-for-17) and seen his batting average dip from .309 to .255. His on-base percentage has fallen from .371 to .308 in that span as well. Taylor has struck out at least once in each of his last 10 games including four straight multi-strikeout performances.
*WHAT THEY'RE SAYING*
Jerry Briggs (@BriggsMissions)
The @missionsmilb won two games off the @RRExpress Sunday at Wolff Stadium behind the likes of Blake Allemand, Jake Hager and Miguel Sanchez. atmilb.com/2Wqm3lF
Minor League Baseball (@MiLB)
Top #Brewers prospect Keston Hiura stayed hot at the plate to lead our roundup of Saturday's top prospect performances. atmlb.com/2DPH29U
San Antonio Missions Baseball (@missionsmilb)
ICYMI: @Jw_Hager walked us off this afternoon to complete the come-from-behind victory in the completion of Friday's suspended game!
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 6, 2019
- Davidson's Three-Run Homer Lifts Sounds - Nashville Sounds
- Hernandez Halts OKC Offense - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Playing Defense at a High Level - San Antonio Missions
- Redbirds Finish Road Trip with 6-5 Loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Hernandez Takes No-Hitter into Seventh in 'Cakes Shutout of OKC - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (9-21) vs. Memphis Redbirds (17-13) - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Clips Omaha 6-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Red-Hot Express OF Yordan Alvarez Named PCL Player of the Week - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (17-13) at Nashville Sounds (9-21) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 6, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Forces Series Split with 6-5 Win over San Antonio - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Wins Seven Straight, Sweeps Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Alvarez And Milone Recognized For Week's Performance - PCL
- Missions Settle for Series Split - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Soar to Past Fresno 11-2, Snap Home Losing Skid - Las Vegas Aviators
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (May 7-14) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Winning Two on Cinco de Mayo - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- Rosters Announced for McCombs Ford West's High School Baseball Seniors Celebration at the Wolff
- Wolff Stadium to Host McCombs Ford West's HS Baseball Seniors Celebration
- San Antonio to Host 2020 Texas Collegiate League Team
- San Antonio Missions to Take Part in MiLB's CommUnity First Campaign
- Missions to Re-Air 2019 Home Opener as Part of #MiLBAtHomeOpener Initiative