Fuel Visited the Upside Down in Loss to K-Wings
INDIANAPOLIS- The Fuel hosted the Kalamazoo Wings in the fourth matchup between these two division rivals this season. Despite outshooting Kalamazoo, the Fuel fell 4-0 on Hawkins, IN Night.
Things got off to a quick start with a goal by Kalamazoo's Brad Morrison at 1:54. A minute later, Fuel captain Seamus Malone took a goaltender interference penalty and Morrison capitalized on the power play with his second goal of the game to make it 2-0 early.
At 8:54, Kalamazoo's Ty Glover took an interference call giving the Fuel their first power play opportunity of the game however the K-Wings killed it off.
The Fuel then went to the penalty kill after Andrew Bellant sat for tripping at 12:08. Indy killed off that penalty before taking another to Anthony Firriolo for hooking at 18:23.
By the end of the period, Kalamazoo was outshooting Indy 13-12.
At 3:48, Drake Pilon sat for hooking as things heated up between these two teams. After lots of pushing and shoving, Bellant took a slashing penalty at 8:09 that only escalated the disdain between both teams.
Santino Centorame took a holding penalty at 11:36 in the second frame and just two seconds after time expired on that penalty, Kalamazoo scored giving Glover his first goal of the game to make it 3-0.
The Fuel had a lot of chances at the end of the period but ultimately could not get on the board before time expired on the second frame.
Collin Adams scored for Kalamazoo to make it 4-0 at 3:05 of the third period with the help of Michael Joyaux who collected his third assist of the night.
At 6:50, Morrison took a penalty for slashing after a fight broke out in Indy's crease. The Fuel got the power play but could not score.
The fireworks really started at 11:24 when Jon Martin and Kalamazoo's Chaz Reddekopp were each given two minutes for roughing and additional ten-minute game misconducts after a line brawl broke out by the benches. Reddekopp was initially given a cross-checking penalty that left the Fuel on the power play.
Kalamazoo killed that penalty off but then went right back to the power play after Kyle Maksimovich took a tripping penalty that Indy also killed off.
At 18:03, the fists were flying again as Morrison and Indy's Zach Jordan each took a double minor for roughing. Morrison took an additional ten-minute misconduct for inciting.
Time expired after that and the Fuel ultimately fell to Kalamazoo, 4-0 despite outshooting them 32-30.
The Indy Fuel are back in action at Indiana Farmers Coliseum tomorrow on November 19, 2023 for Family Fun and Kids Eat Free Day against the Toledo Walleye.
Images from this story
Indy Fuel's Zach Driscoll
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 18, 2023
- Game Notes: November 18 - Rush at Wichita Thunder - Rapid City Rush
- Kalamazoo Gels in Commanding Road Shutout of Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Rabbits Outlast Icemen 5-3, Move Atop Eastern Conference with Fourth Straight Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Lennox Notches 43 Saves in 4-2 Win Over Cyclones - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Run Royals 6-4 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Fuel Visited the Upside Down in Loss to K-Wings - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Fall Short, Split Series with Railers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- A Home Win Before Hitting the Road for Two Weeks - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Thunder Inks Forward Nick Fea - Wichita Thunder
- Mariners Fall to Lions on Controversial Call - Maine Mariners
- Wichita Continues Heroes Weekend Tonight vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Worcester Railers HC Sign Forward Todd Goehring - Worcester Railers HC
- ECHL Transactions - November 18 - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Jacksonville Icemen (7:00pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Icemen Battle Hard, But Fall Short to Greenville on Friday - Jacksonville Icemen
- Everblades Score Four Unanswered, Defeat Glads 6-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Americans Look to Avoid Sweep in Boise - Allen Americans
- Preview: Royals Em'Bark' on a Series Finale with the Growlers, Pucks & Paws Night - Reading Royals
- Big Second Period Leads Idaho Over The Americans - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.