Fresno OF Andrew Stevenson Named PCL Player of the Week
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Pacific Coast League office announced Monday their Player and Pitcher of the Week for the period of June 17-23. Fresno Grizzlies OF Andrew Stevenson was named Player of the Week, while Memphis Redbirds RHP Jake Woodford took home Pitcher of the Week honors.
For the week, Stevenson hit .621 with three home runs and led the PCL in RBI with 15. The Louisiana State University product led the PCL in hits (18), runs (13), total bases (34), and RBI (15) while tied for first in doubles (5) and stolen bases (3). The Lafayette, Louisiana native hit in all six games he played in for the week, including a four and a five-hit game against the Salt Lake Bees. In his five-hit performance on June 23 against the Bees, Stevenson went 5-for-7 with a home run and five RBI.
On the season, the 25-year-old Stevenson is batting .337 with three home runs and 29 RBI. He has also spent time with the parent club Washington Nationals this season, playing in nine. Stevenson was selected in the second round by the Nationals in the MLB First Year Player Draft in 2015 out of LSU and made his Major League debut on July 23, 2017 against the Arizona Diamondbacks. This is Stevenson's second career Player of the Week honor (6/26/2016 with Potomac Nationals in Carolina League).
Woodford picked up the win in his lone start tossing seven scoreless frames for the Redbirds. The Tampa, Florida native surrendered just two hits while striking out four batters in route to the Redbirds 5-0 win over the Oklahoma City Dodgers on June 22. Woodford also had a WHIP of 0.71 and in the 25 total batters he faced, opponents batted just .091 against him.
On the season, the 22-year-old is 5-3 with a 3.39 ERA in 15 starts with 74 strikeouts. For the former first round competitive balance pick (39th overall, 2015 draft) by the St. Louis Cardinals, this is his first Pitcher of the Week honor in his career. Woodford was also selected as a Mid-Season All-Star in 2016 with the Peoria in the Low-A Midwest League, and in 2018 with the Double-A Springfield Cardinals of the Texas League. In total for his career, the right-hander is 26-27 with a 3.70 ERA in 95 games, 90 starts while racking up 350 strikeouts.
Images from this story
Fresno Grizzlies outfielder Andrew Stevenson
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 24, 2019
- Power Continues to Surge in Nashville's Win - Nashville Sounds
- Noesi, 'Cakes Undone by Nashville Home Runs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Missions Drop Series in Omaha - San Antonio Missions
- Isotopes Close out Series in Reno with 10-4 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Cron Homers Twice in Monday Loss to Albuquerque - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (30-45) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (42-34) - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock Slams I-Cubs in Rubber Match - Iowa Cubs
- Express RHP Brandon Bielak Leads Team to 6-3 Victory over Iowa - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (32-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (30-44) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 24, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Fresno OF Andrew Stevenson Named PCL Player of the Week - Fresno Grizzlies
- Woodford Named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes vs. Albuquerque - Reno Aces
- Pacific Coast League Players of the Week Named for June 17-23 - PCL
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (June 25-July 3) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno Grizzlies Season Update
- Fresno Grizzlies Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Fowler Packing (Peelz), Save Mart, ABC 30, Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino, and Grizzlies Join Forces to Surprise Senior Shoppers with Free Groceries
- Grizzlies Unveil 2020 Daily Specials
- Chukchansi Park Job Fair Set for Saturday, March 7th