Four-Goal First Period Sets Stage in 6-3 Nailers Win
ESTERO, FL - The Wheeling Nailers had to wait nearly a week to play the opening game of the Kelly Cup Playoffs, and when the puck hit the ice, it found its way to the back of the net early and often. The Nailers exploded for four goals in the first period, and that ended up being the difference, as Wheeling won for the ninth straight time in game one of round one. John McCarron and Andrew Ammon both scored twice for, while Cody Wydo racked up four points in the winning effort.
The Nailers were more than ready to start the series, as they came out absolutely flying in the first period. After killing off a 5-on-3, Wheeling turned its attention to offense. Cody Wydo wrapped a puck to the front of the net, where his shot was closed off, but the rebound popped free to John McCarron, who slammed in the first tally of the series. 1:23 later, the visitors extended their lead. Jordan Kwas carried the puck into the high slot, where he connected with Andrew Ammon. Ammon's wrist shot rang off of the right post and into the net. Another successful penalty kill led to a third goal with 3:14 left. Cody Wydo raced in on a 3-on-1 rush, burying a wrist shot from the right circle. During the final minute of the stanza, a power play goal made the score 4-0, as Mathew Maione found the twine from the right side of the blueline.
The second period was a bit of a different story, as the Everblades attempted to claw back into the contest. Matt Willows' shot from the right side was denied, but Matt Marquardt drilled in the rebound at 4:44 for his team's first tally of the series. Florida cut the Nailers lead to two at the 12:22 mark, just as a man advantage expired. Matt Willows fed Ryan Martindale, who roofed a shot from the left circle. With 1:13 remaining in the frame, Wheeling got a big insurance goal, as Ammon tipped in Maione's shot from the right point for his second of the evening.
The four-goal lead was restored at the 5:26 mark of the third period, when John McCarron tossed in a long distance wrist shot. Gabriel Desjardins got the final marker of the evening for the Everblades, completing the scoring in a 6-3 triumph in favor of the Nailers.
Franky Palazzese was the winning goaltender for Wheeling, as he made 25 saves on 28 shots. Anthony Peters took the loss for Florida, allowing four goals on ten shots in the first period. Rasmus Tirronen turned away 21 of 23 shots in relief.
The Nailers and Everblades will play game two in Estero on Saturday at 7:00. The two teams will then travel to Wheeling for games three, four, and five (if necessary) on April 20th, 22nd, and 23rd (if necessary).
Images from this story
Wheeling Nailers in Action
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 15, 2016
- Royals Claim Game One in Toledo, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Take Game 1 in Back-And-Forth Affair - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wheeling Nails Down Game 1 with 6-3 Victory over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
- Monarchs Fall to Thunder in Overtime, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Four-Goal First Period Sets Stage in 6-3 Nailers Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Early Lead Can't Lift Wings over Stingrays in Game One - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Take Game 1 with 4-1 Victory over Wings Friday Night - South Carolina Stingrays
- Former IceMen Compete for Kelly Cup as ECHL Playoffs Begin - Evansville IceMen
- ECHL Transactions - April 15 - ECHL
- Nailers Announce Opening Round TV Schedule - Wheeling Nailers
- Americans Chad Costello Wins ECHL MVP Award - Allen Americans
- Chad Costello Named 2015-16 ECHL Most Valuable Player - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Notes: Kelly Cup Quarterfinals- Game 1 vs Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye Playoff Broadcast Coverage Announced - Toledo Walleye
- Valiquette Earns First AHL Call-Up - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Playoff Game Preview: Game 1- South Carolina at Kalamazoo, 7 p.m. - South Carolina Stingrays
- Nailers vs. Everblades Playoff Series Preview - Wheeling Nailers
- Cliches Just Fine for Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Thiessen Returned on Loan - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- Game 4 Features 4 for $40 Ticket Special Plus $2 Beer and Hot Dogs - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gameday: Adirondack at Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Today - April 15 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Take Game 1 of Series 3-2 in Colorado - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Rally for 3-2 Win over Eagles to Take 1-0 Series Lead - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.