Grizzlies Rally for 3-2 Win over Eagles to Take 1-0 Series Lead
(Loveland, CO) - The Colorado Eagles fell to the Utah Grizzlies 3-2 at the Budweiser Events Center in Game One of the first round of the ECHL Kelly Cup playoffs on Thursday. Eagles forward Kyle Kraemer scored two goals on the night, while fellow forward Tyler Fiddler added a pair of assists in the loss.
The Eagles jumped on the board when Kraemer scored his first of the night off a back door pass from Fiddler. Kraemer one-timed the puck into the net to give Colorado a 1-0 just 3:59 into the game.
Utah answered by scoring with 8:51 to play in the opening frame, as forward Barry Almeida fired the puck past Eagles goaltender Clarke Saunders on a rush down the left wing wall to tie the game at 1-1. The deadlock would hold to the first intermission.
The Grizzlies opened up the second period by scoring back-to-back goals. Forward Bryan Moore lit the lamp from the left side at the 5:52 mark and then, on the power play, forward Matt Berry found an opening from the side of the net to give Utah a 3-1 lead with 12:02 to play in the middle frame.
Colorado cut Utah's lead to 3-2 with 5:02 to play in the second period when Kraemer blasted a one-timer from the left hand side on a 5-on-3 power play for his second goal of the night. The Eagles would head into second intermission facing that 3-2 deficit.
The Eagles pulled Saunders late in the game in favor of an extra skater, but were unable to complete the comeback, as Utah held on for 3-2 victory.
Saunders finished the night with 19 saves on 23 shots, while Grizzlies goaltender Mark Owuya claimed the win in net stopping 22 of Colorado's 24 shots on goal.
The Eagles and Grizzlies are back on the ice for Game Two at the Budweiser Events Center on Sunday night. The puck drops at 7:05 PM MST.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 15, 2016
- Royals Claim Game One in Toledo, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Take Game 1 in Back-And-Forth Affair - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wheeling Nails Down Game 1 with 6-3 Victory over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
- Monarchs Fall to Thunder in Overtime, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Four-Goal First Period Sets Stage in 6-3 Nailers Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Early Lead Can't Lift Wings over Stingrays in Game One - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Take Game 1 with 4-1 Victory over Wings Friday Night - South Carolina Stingrays
- Former IceMen Compete for Kelly Cup as ECHL Playoffs Begin - Evansville IceMen
- ECHL Transactions - April 15 - ECHL
- Nailers Announce Opening Round TV Schedule - Wheeling Nailers
- Americans Chad Costello Wins ECHL MVP Award - Allen Americans
- Chad Costello Named 2015-16 ECHL Most Valuable Player - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Notes: Kelly Cup Quarterfinals- Game 1 vs Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye Playoff Broadcast Coverage Announced - Toledo Walleye
- Valiquette Earns First AHL Call-Up - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Playoff Game Preview: Game 1- South Carolina at Kalamazoo, 7 p.m. - South Carolina Stingrays
- Nailers vs. Everblades Playoff Series Preview - Wheeling Nailers
- Cliches Just Fine for Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Thiessen Returned on Loan - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- Game 4 Features 4 for $40 Ticket Special Plus $2 Beer and Hot Dogs - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gameday: Adirondack at Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Today - April 15 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Take Game 1 of Series 3-2 in Colorado - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Rally for 3-2 Win over Eagles to Take 1-0 Series Lead - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.