Monarchs Fall to Thunder in Overtime, 4-3
MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Manchester Monarchs find themselves in a 2-0 series deficit as the Eastern Conference Semifinals shifts to Glens Falls, N.Y., after falling in overtime to the Adirondack Thunder, 4-3, Friday night at the Verizon Wireless Arena.
"We didn't play 60 minutes tonight, and when we don't, we don't get the results we are looking for," Head Coach, Rich Seeley, said. "We need to consistently do the little things that made us successful throughout the season, and when we do, I think we'll like the results."
The Monarchs jumped out to a quick start when Maxim Kitsyn netted his 1st goal of the playoffs at 1:02 of the first period. Kitsyn found the loose change after a Joey Diamond centering pass bounced off a few bodies, and banged home the ice breaker past Thunder goaltender, Ken Appleby, for the early 1-0 Monarchs lead.
The Thunder struck back at 7:13 of the first period when Michael Kirkpatrick scored his 2nd goal of the playoffs. After a Greg Wolfe partial breakaway was stopped by Monarchs goaltender, Doug Carr, Kirkpatrick found the rebound between two Monarchs defenders and stuffed home the equalizer.
Adirondack grabbed the lead when Mitchell Heard scored his 1st goal of the playoffs at 15:23 of the first period. After a mad scramble in front of Carr's net, the puck found Heard's stick, and the Thunder forward made no mistake, sending the puck past a down-and-out Carr, making the score, 2-1, Thunder.
After a scoreless second period, Manchester tied the game up at 8:52 of the third period when Zac Larraza netted his 2nd goal of the playoffs. Larraza found the puck after a Matt Fornataro shot was blocked in the slot, and the rookie skater sent the puck past Appleby's blocker, tying the score at 2-2.
The Monarchs took the lead when Troy Power scored his 1st goal of the playoffs at 10:05 of the third period. Power took a drop pass from Fornataro high in the slot and sent a wrister on Appleby that the Adirondack goalie stopped, but the rebound came directly back to Power who then fired a wrister over Appleby's glove for the 3-2 Monarchs lead.
The Thunder stormed back and tied the game when Wolfe netted his 3rd goal of the playoffs at 14:11 in the third period. Directly off of a face-off win, Wolfe sent a wrist shot past the blocker of Carr from the top of the left face-off circle, tying the game, 3-3.
The game would go into overtime, and at 9:40 in the extra frame, Peter MacArthur ended the contest on his 1st goal of the playoffs. MacArthur streaked down the left wing, curled around the net and scored on a wrap-around forehand, ending the game, 4-3.
The Monarchs return to the ice Saturday night (7:30 p.m.) as the series shifts to the Glens Falls Civic Center for Games 3 & 4.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 15, 2016
- Royals Claim Game One in Toledo, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Take Game 1 in Back-And-Forth Affair - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wheeling Nails Down Game 1 with 6-3 Victory over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
- Monarchs Fall to Thunder in Overtime, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Four-Goal First Period Sets Stage in 6-3 Nailers Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Early Lead Can't Lift Wings over Stingrays in Game One - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Take Game 1 with 4-1 Victory over Wings Friday Night - South Carolina Stingrays
- Former IceMen Compete for Kelly Cup as ECHL Playoffs Begin - Evansville IceMen
- ECHL Transactions - April 15 - ECHL
- Nailers Announce Opening Round TV Schedule - Wheeling Nailers
- Americans Chad Costello Wins ECHL MVP Award - Allen Americans
- Chad Costello Named 2015-16 ECHL Most Valuable Player - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Notes: Kelly Cup Quarterfinals- Game 1 vs Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye Playoff Broadcast Coverage Announced - Toledo Walleye
- Valiquette Earns First AHL Call-Up - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Playoff Game Preview: Game 1- South Carolina at Kalamazoo, 7 p.m. - South Carolina Stingrays
- Nailers vs. Everblades Playoff Series Preview - Wheeling Nailers
- Cliches Just Fine for Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Thiessen Returned on Loan - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- Game 4 Features 4 for $40 Ticket Special Plus $2 Beer and Hot Dogs - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gameday: Adirondack at Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Today - April 15 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Take Game 1 of Series 3-2 in Colorado - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Rally for 3-2 Win over Eagles to Take 1-0 Series Lead - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.