Wheeling Nails Down Game 1 with 6-3 Victory over 'Blades
ESTERO, FL- Andrew Ammon and John McCarron both scored two goals to lead the Wheeling Nailers to a 6-3 victory over the Florida Everblades in Game One of the Eastern Conference Quarter finals Friday night at Germain Arena. ** ()
The Nailers put on an offensive show in the opening period scoring four goals opening up the game to an early 4-0 lead.
Cody Wydo attempted a wrap around, but the puck slid across the crease and John McCarron shuffled the puck across the goal line for the game's opening goal.
Two minutes later, Andrew Ammon received a pass from Dan O'Donoghue in the high slot where he blasted the puck over the shoulder of Peters giving the Nailers the 2-0 lead.
With three minutes left in the opening period, Cody Wydo picked up the puck after a blocked shot, charged deep into the Everblades' offensive zone on a 3-on-1 rush and riffled a shot past Peters from the right wing circle to give the Nailers the early 3-0 lead.
Then with 40 seconds left in the first, the Nailers jumped on the board again when Matthew Maione blasted a shot from the blue l6ine extending the Nailers lead to 4-0 heading into the second period.
Goaltender Rasmus Tirronen entered the game in at the start of the second period to replace Anthony Peters.
The Everblades were able to get on the board at. 4:44 into the second period. Matt Marquardt cocked back and slapped a shot past Franky Palazzese from the left wing circle, cutting the Nailers' lead to 4-1.
With seven minutes to play in the second frame Ryan Martindale scored on a give-and-go with Matt Willows in front of Palazzese cutting the Nailers' lead to 4-2.
The Nailers reclaimed the momentum when Andrew Ammon scored his second goal of the night after tipping the puck in the net past Tirronen on a Maione shot from the blue line, to give the Nailers the three goal lead again, 5-2 heading into the third period.
Wheeling continued its assault in the third, when McCarron scored his second goal of the game at 5:26 into the period.
Florida grabbed a another goal from Gabriel Desjardins with seven minutes remaining, but it would not be enough as the Nailers closed out the 6-3 victory.
Frankie Palazzese earned the win stopping 25 of 28 shots, while Peters takes the loss allowing four goals on ten shots. Rasmus Tirronen turned aside 21 of 23 shots in a relief effort. Wheeling's Cody Wydo recorded four points on the night (1g, 3a).
Game 2 is Saturday at Germain Arena!
Saturday, April 16: Game 2 vs, Wheeling Nailers, 7:00 p.m. Game 2 is presented by Univision! ** Univision (http://www.univision.com/) will be on hand interacting with fans in the concourse, giving away t-shirts, and great prizes to fans during the intermission!
The following is a complete schedule the of the best-of-seven series: (Wheeling leads 1-0) Game 1: Friday, April 15, Wheeling - 6 at Florida - 3 Game 2: Saturday, April 16, Wheeling at Florida, Germain Arena, 7:00 p.m. Game 3: Wednesday, April 20, Florida at Wheeling, WesBanco Arena, 7:05 p.m. Game 4: Friday, April 22, Florida at Wheeling, WesBanco Arena, 7:35 p.m. Game 5: Saturday, April 23, Florida at Wheeling, WesBanco Arena, 7:35 p.m.** Game 6: Monday, April 25, Wheeling at Florida, Germain Arena, 7:30 p.m.** Game 7: Wednesday, April 27, Wheeling at Florida, Germain Arena, 7:30 p.m.** ** If Necessary
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 15, 2016
- Royals Claim Game One in Toledo, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Take Game 1 in Back-And-Forth Affair - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wheeling Nails Down Game 1 with 6-3 Victory over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
- Monarchs Fall to Thunder in Overtime, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Four-Goal First Period Sets Stage in 6-3 Nailers Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Early Lead Can't Lift Wings over Stingrays in Game One - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Take Game 1 with 4-1 Victory over Wings Friday Night - South Carolina Stingrays
- Former IceMen Compete for Kelly Cup as ECHL Playoffs Begin - Evansville IceMen
- ECHL Transactions - April 15 - ECHL
- Nailers Announce Opening Round TV Schedule - Wheeling Nailers
- Americans Chad Costello Wins ECHL MVP Award - Allen Americans
- Chad Costello Named 2015-16 ECHL Most Valuable Player - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Notes: Kelly Cup Quarterfinals- Game 1 vs Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye Playoff Broadcast Coverage Announced - Toledo Walleye
- Valiquette Earns First AHL Call-Up - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Playoff Game Preview: Game 1- South Carolina at Kalamazoo, 7 p.m. - South Carolina Stingrays
- Nailers vs. Everblades Playoff Series Preview - Wheeling Nailers
- Cliches Just Fine for Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Thiessen Returned on Loan - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- Game 4 Features 4 for $40 Ticket Special Plus $2 Beer and Hot Dogs - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gameday: Adirondack at Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Today - April 15 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Take Game 1 of Series 3-2 in Colorado - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Rally for 3-2 Win over Eagles to Take 1-0 Series Lead - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.