Four-Goal First Period Dooms Comets in Loss to Devils
Binghamton, N.Y. - The Comets surrendered four goals in the opening frame as they fell 5-1 to the Binghamton Devils Saturday night at the Floyd L. Maines Veteran's Memorial Arena. Lukas Jasek scored the lone goal for the Comets. Ivan Kulbakov took the loss in net, stopping 8 of 11 shots before being replaced by Connor LaCouvee.
Nick Lappin put Binghamton up 1-0 just 1:17 into the game. Marian Studenic made it 2-0 five minutes later. Curtis Gabriel continued the push a minute and a half later, tipping a shot past Kulbakov. LaCouvee replaced Kulbakov in net after the goal. The onslaught continued as John Ramage's shot leaked through LaCouvee a minute later. Jasek got the Comets on the board with three minutes remaining in the first, pushing a rebound past Devils goalie Mackenzie Blackwood. Tanner MacMaster and Michael Carcone tallied the assists.
Ryan Schmelzer capitalized on a turnover to put Binghamton back up by four at the 4:11 mark of the second period. The Comets were unable to find the net in the middle frame despite outshooting Binghamton 12-4.
The Comets fought hard in the third to attempt a comeback but were shutdown by Blackwood and the Devils' defense.
The Comets return to the ice Wednesday night as they faceoff against the Belleville Senators. Puck drop at CAA Arena is a 7 p.m. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 10, 2018
- Iowa Drops Contest to Bakersfield 4-3 - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Lose Nail-Biter 1-0 at Tucson - San Jose Barracuda
- Thunderbirds General Manager Eric Joyce Issues Statement Regarding Defenseman Mike Downing - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Griffins Fall 6-2, Split Series with Manitoba - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Roll over Rampage in 8-1 Rout - Texas Stars
- Moose Dominate Grand Rapids to Finish Stand - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Fall Short to IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Condra, Stars Down Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Condors Streak Through Iowa in 4-3 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Sens Drop Back End of Weekend against Marlies - Belleville Senators
- Charlotte Rallies from Behind in Another High-Scoring Affair - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bourque records 700th AHL point as Bridgeport scores at least five goals for fourth straight game - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Hot Start Leads Penguins Past Wolf Pack, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Slow Start Burns Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Checkers Earn Wild Win in Lehigh Valley - Charlotte Checkers
- Bears Hold off Thunderbirds, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Fight Back to Force OT, But Fall 5-4 in Bridgeport - Providence Bruins
- Fast Start Lifts Devils over Comets, 5-1 - Binghamton Devils
- Furious Frenzy in Third Not Enough for T-Birds in Hershey - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Four-Goal First Period Dooms Comets in Loss to Devils - Utica Comets
- Ontario Reign to Honor Victims and Families of Thousand Oaks Tragedy - Ontario Reign
- Max Comtois Assigned to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Puljujarvi and Yamamoto Assigned to Condors - Bakersfield Condors
- Marlies Ready for Rematch in Belleviille - Toronto Marlies
- Game #13 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners to Welcome Six-Year-Old Teddy for Belated Birthday Party - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Sign Alex Kile to PTO - Utica Comets
- Dallas Stars Acquire Defenseman Taylor Fedun from Buffalo, Assign him to Texas - Texas Stars
- Dallas Recalls Ben Gleason, Texas Signs Brady Norrish - Texas Stars
- Sabres Acquire Draft Pick from Stars - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Marlies, November 10 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Thunderbirds at Bears, 7:00 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Look to Extend Winning Ways this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Buitenhuis Agrees to Terms on AHL Contact - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Roadrunners, Madsen Shutout San Jose in Convincing Fashion - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stockton Snaps Reign Streak - Ontario Reign
- King Gets First Victory, Hogs Win Fourth Straight on Road - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Host Sellout Crowd, Down Eagles, 4-3 - San Diego Gulls
- Eagles Fall Short in First-Ever Meeting with San Diego - Colorado Eagles
- Phillips Records First Pro Goal and Multi-Point Game in Heat Win - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda Shutout 5-0 at Tucson - San Jose Barracuda
- Two Goals from Jake Evans Fuel Rocket in 5-1 Victory over Monsters - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.