Eagles Fall Short in First-Ever Meeting with San Diego
SAN DIEGO, CA. - The Colorado Eagles would notch a power-play goal, a shorthanded tally and an even-strength goal, but it would not be enough as the San Diego Gulls scored the game-winning goal late in the third period to secure a 4-3 victory over Colorado on Friday. Mason Geertsen, Josh Dickinson and Michael Joly all netted goals in the contest, while goaltender Pavel Francouz suffered just his second loss of the season, allowing four goals on 38 shots.
Colorado would lay claim to the game's first goal when a failed clearing attempt by San Diego allowed Geertsen to snag the puck in the high-slot before stepping into a slapshot that would light the lamp and give the Eagles the 1-0 edge with 4:36 left to play in the first period.
Heading into the second period it would be the Gulls who would take advantage of a failed clearing attempt, as forward Ben Thomson would tip a shot from the blue line past Francouz to tie the game at 1-1 just 5:07 into the middle frame.
Less than four minutes later, San Diego forward Sam Carrick would snag a turnover in the low-slot and feed the puck into the back of the net to give the Gulls a 2-1 advantage at the 8:26 mark of the second period.
Colorado would even things up on the penalty kill when Dickinson wrapped behind the net of Gulls goalie Kevin Boyle before backhanding a shot over Boyle's shoulder for his first professional goal. The tally was the Eagles first shorthanded goal of the season and squared the score at 2-2 with only 4:12 left to play in the period.
San Diego would hop back on top just 6:37 into the third period when forward Troy Terry fired a wrister from the right circle that would beat Francouz and give the Gulls a 3-2 lead.
Later in the period, the Eagles would earn their third power play of the night and they would make it count, as forward Michael Joly collected a rebound at the side of the net and tucked it home to tie the game at 3-3 with 9:39 left to play in the contest.
A collision in the Colorado zone would send the puck onto the tape of Carrick, who would bump a pass into the slot where forward Chase De Leo would bury a wrist shot to put San Diego back in the driver's seat, 4-3 at the 14:22 mark of the third period.
Trailing by a goal late in the contest the Eagles would pull Francouz in favor of the extra attacker, but they would not draw any closer, falling by a final score of 4-3.
Colorado finished the night going 1-for-3 on the power play and a perfect 3-for-3 on the penalty kill. The Gulls would outshoot the Eagles in the contest, 38-29.
The Eagles return to action on Saturday, November 10th when they take on the San Diego Gulls at the Valley View Casino Center in at 8:00pm MT.
Single-game tickets for the 2018-19 season are on-sale now and start at just $18 per seat. Purchase your seats today by visiting the Budweiser Events Center box office, online at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the Eagles ticketing department at 970-686-SHOT (7468).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 10, 2018
- Iowa Drops Contest to Bakersfield 4-3 - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Lose Nail-Biter 1-0 at Tucson - San Jose Barracuda
- Thunderbirds General Manager Eric Joyce Issues Statement Regarding Defenseman Mike Downing - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Griffins Fall 6-2, Split Series with Manitoba - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Roll over Rampage in 8-1 Rout - Texas Stars
- Moose Dominate Grand Rapids to Finish Stand - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Fall Short to IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Condra, Stars Down Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Condors Streak Through Iowa in 4-3 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Sens Drop Back End of Weekend against Marlies - Belleville Senators
- Charlotte Rallies from Behind in Another High-Scoring Affair - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bourque records 700th AHL point as Bridgeport scores at least five goals for fourth straight game - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Hot Start Leads Penguins Past Wolf Pack, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Slow Start Burns Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Checkers Earn Wild Win in Lehigh Valley - Charlotte Checkers
- Bears Hold off Thunderbirds, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Fight Back to Force OT, But Fall 5-4 in Bridgeport - Providence Bruins
- Fast Start Lifts Devils over Comets, 5-1 - Binghamton Devils
- Furious Frenzy in Third Not Enough for T-Birds in Hershey - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Four-Goal First Period Dooms Comets in Loss to Devils - Utica Comets
- Ontario Reign to Honor Victims and Families of Thousand Oaks Tragedy - Ontario Reign
- Max Comtois Assigned to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Puljujarvi and Yamamoto Assigned to Condors - Bakersfield Condors
- Marlies Ready for Rematch in Belleviille - Toronto Marlies
- Game #13 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners to Welcome Six-Year-Old Teddy for Belated Birthday Party - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Sign Alex Kile to PTO - Utica Comets
- Dallas Stars Acquire Defenseman Taylor Fedun from Buffalo, Assign him to Texas - Texas Stars
- Dallas Recalls Ben Gleason, Texas Signs Brady Norrish - Texas Stars
- Sabres Acquire Draft Pick from Stars - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Marlies, November 10 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Thunderbirds at Bears, 7:00 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Look to Extend Winning Ways this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Buitenhuis Agrees to Terms on AHL Contact - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Roadrunners, Madsen Shutout San Jose in Convincing Fashion - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stockton Snaps Reign Streak - Ontario Reign
- King Gets First Victory, Hogs Win Fourth Straight on Road - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Host Sellout Crowd, Down Eagles, 4-3 - San Diego Gulls
- Eagles Fall Short in First-Ever Meeting with San Diego - Colorado Eagles
- Phillips Records First Pro Goal and Multi-Point Game in Heat Win - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda Shutout 5-0 at Tucson - San Jose Barracuda
- Two Goals from Jake Evans Fuel Rocket in 5-1 Victory over Monsters - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- O'Connor Buries OT Winner to Give Colorado 4-3 Victory over Reign
- Martin Shines in Net as Colorado Shuts out Tucson, 2-0
- Roadrunners Score Twice in Third Period to Top Eagles, 2-1
- Greer Heads to NHL, Dickinson Recalled from Utah
- Forward Nantel Reassigned to Utah Grizzlies