Florida Defeats Orlando in Overtime
ORLANDO, Fla. - Florida captain John McCarron scored 30 seconds into overtime to lift the Everblades (10-4-0-0) past the Orlando Solar Bears (6-6-0-0) 4-3 at the Amway Center.
FIRST STAR: FLA - John McCarron (1g) OT-GWG
SECOND STAR: FLA - Jeff Malott (1g-1a)
THIRD STAR: ORL - Dylan Sadowy (1g-1a)
Florida controlled the first period on both ends of the ice with 14 shots on goal and held Orlando to seven shots.
The first goal finally broke through at the 11:54 mark in the second period. With Orlando's Rich Boyd in the sin bin, Michael Huntebrinker tapped in his league-leading fifth power-play goal of the season to put the Blades up 1-0. However, Florida could not keep Orlando off the scoreboard. Solar Bears forward Jake Coughler got the puck past Blades goalie Jake Hildebrand on a four-on-three to even the score (18:39).
But the second period was not over just yet. Logan Roe exited the penalty box and quickly gained possession of the puck behind the Orlando defensemen and fired a shot just before time expired to end the period 2-1 (19:59).
Just 1:53 into the third period, Orlando tied the score again off of a power-play goal by Dylan Sadowy. Less than a minute later, Florida's Jeff Malott scored his first professional goal by sneaking the puck just under Solar Bears netminder Garret Spark's pads (2:42). Late in the third period, Orlando's Alan Lyszczarczyk sent the game into overtime (18:03) by cashing in his second of the season.
In overtime, the Everblades' Roe made an impressive defensive stop and fed the puck to McCarron near center ice. McCarron skated past Orlando's defensemen and scored a top-shelf tally to close out the game.
Florida returns home on Wednesday, Jan. 27 at 7:30 p.m. against the Orlando Solar Bears at Hertz Arena. Enjoy Hump Day Deals! $3 Beer, $3 Wine, $3 Hot Dogs and $4 Vodka! For tickets to the Jan. 27 game, click HERE.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 17, 2021
- Garlent, Baylis, and Defiel Power Rush to Series Win - Rapid City Rush
- Defiel Steals Game for Rush, Oilers Fall 3-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears battle back to earn point in 4-3 OT loss to Florida - Orlando Solar Bears
- Greenville Extends Point Streak to Nine Behind Bednard's Brilliance - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Florida Defeats Orlando in Overtime - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 17 - ECHL
- IceMen Agree to Terms with Goaltender Charles Williams - Jacksonville IceMen
- Blades Look for Second Win of Weekend - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. IceMen, 3:05 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- January 18 IceMen Game at South Carolina Postponed - Jacksonville IceMen
- January 18 Stingrays Game Postponed - South Carolina Stingrays
- KC Defeats Utah 5-4 in OT - Utah Grizzlies
- Tendeck's First Pro Win Forces Rubber Match in Game Two - Rapid City Rush
- Rush End Oilers Five-Game Winning Streak 3-1 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.