Greenville Extends Point Streak to Nine Behind Bednard's Brilliance
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Swamp Rabbits won two of three on the weekend with a Sunday afternoon victory over the Jacksonville Icemen, 4-1, to improve their point streak to nine. Ryan Bednard was sensational in goal for Greenville with 40 saves, and the Swamp Rabbits successfully claimed five of six standings points on the weekend.
After a scoreless 20 minutes, Greenville broke the ice with a goal scored by Anthony Rinaldi. On a great move at the net front, Rinaldi potted his first professional goal at 4:14 of the second period to put Greenville ahead 1-0.
The Swamp Rabbits doubled their lead with Luc Brown scoring on a rebound at the 6:09 mark of the frame. Greenville added another with Greg Meireles firing a shot top shelf past Icemen netminder Kyle Keyser with 6:01 left in the period. Meireles' tally continued his point streak to seven games.
In the final frame, Rabbits forward Max Zimmer matched Meireles and continued his seven game point streak with an empty net goal at 17:09. Jacksonville broke Bednard's shutout bid with a late power play marker from Nick Saracino with 2:24 left in the contest.
The Swamp Rabbits finished the night 0-for-4 on the power play and 5-for-6 on the penalty kill in their 4-1 victory at Bon Secours Wellness Arena.
Greenville improved their record to 5-3-3-2 with an upcoming four game set looming with the Orlando Solar Bears starting on Wednesday night at the Amway Center. Puck dropped is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 17, 2021
- Garlent, Baylis, and Defiel Power Rush to Series Win - Rapid City Rush
- Defiel Steals Game for Rush, Oilers Fall 3-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears battle back to earn point in 4-3 OT loss to Florida - Orlando Solar Bears
- Greenville Extends Point Streak to Nine Behind Bednard's Brilliance - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Florida Defeats Orlando in Overtime - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 17 - ECHL
- IceMen Agree to Terms with Goaltender Charles Williams - Jacksonville IceMen
- Blades Look for Second Win of Weekend - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. IceMen, 3:05 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- January 18 IceMen Game at South Carolina Postponed - Jacksonville IceMen
- January 18 Stingrays Game Postponed - South Carolina Stingrays
- KC Defeats Utah 5-4 in OT - Utah Grizzlies
- Tendeck's First Pro Win Forces Rubber Match in Game Two - Rapid City Rush
- Rush End Oilers Five-Game Winning Streak 3-1 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Rabbits Erase Third Period Deficit, Drop Late 5-4 Decision to Allen
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. Americans, 7:05 PM
- Swamp Rabbits Emerge Victorious Behind Bednard's Big Night
- Game Preview (2/25/2021): Swamp Rabbits vs. Americans, 7:05 PM
- Rabbits Weekly