Five Timbers Players Called in for International Duty
PORTLAND, Ore. - Portland Timbers midfielders Cristhian Paredes (Paraguay) and Andy Polo (Peru) have been called up by their respective national teams for matches during the FIFA international break. Additionally, forward Jeremy Ebobisse, defender Marco Farfan and midfielder Eryk Williamson have been named to the U.S. U-23 Men's National Team roster for an international camp in Spain through March 25. The trio will be joined by Timbers assistant coach Miles Joseph, who will be a part of the U-23 coaching staff for the camp, for a pair of friendly matches against Egypt on March 22 and the Netherlands on March 24.
All five players will rejoin the Timbers ahead of the team's away fixture against the LA Galaxy on Sunday, March 31.
Paredes and Paraguay will take on Peru at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J., on Friday, March 22, beginning at 5 p.m. (Pacific). Four days later, Paraguay will take on Mexico at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif., on Tuesday, March 26; kickoff is set for 7 p.m. (Pacific). Paredes, 20, has earned two caps for the Paraguay Men's National Team, most recently featuring against South Africa in the Nelson Mandela Challenge on November 20, 2018. Paredes made his 2019 season debut for the Timbers, starting and playing 90 minutes at FC Cincinnati on March 17.
After facing Paraguay on March 22, Polo and Peru will square off against El Salvador in a friendly match at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday, March 26, beginning at 5 p.m. (Pacific). Since making his senior team debut in 2016, Polo has earned 20 caps and scored one goal at the international level. Polo has appeared in three matches (2 starts) for the Timbers in 2019.
The U.S. U-23s will face Egypt on Friday, March 22, at Pinatar Arena in San Pedro del Pinatar, Spain; kickoff is set for 9 a.m. (Pacific). The U-23s will then square off against the Netherlands on Sunday, March 24, at Pinatar Arena at 9 a.m. (Pacific).
Ebobisse earned his first cap for the U.S. Men's National Team on Jan. 27, starting and playing 66 minutes in a 3-0 win against Panama at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Ariz. In three appearances (2 starts) for the Timbers in 2019, Ebobisse has scored one goal in 190 minutes of action. On loan from the Timbers, Williamson has appeared in two games (2 starts) for T2, tallying two assists, while Farfan has made two starts and logged 180 minutes played with T2.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 19, 2019
- Loudoun United FC Announce Groundbreaking Ceremony for Loudoun United Stadium - D.C. United
- Marcinkowski, Yueill Called to U.S. U-23 National Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Five Timbers Players Called in for International Duty - Portland Timbers
- Four Atlanta United Players Called-Up for Youth National Teams - Atlanta United FC
- Philadelphia Union Midfielder Derrick Jones Receives International Call-Up - Philadelphia Union
- Frankowski, Hasler and Mihailovic Called up to International Duty - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Sign Academy Product Griffin Yow as 12th Homegrown in Club History - D.C. United
- Injury Update: Florian Valot - New York Red Bulls
- MGM Resorts International & Major League Soccer Announce Multi-Year Gaming Partnership - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Know Your Opponent | New York Red Bulls - Orlando City SC
- 80 MLS Stars Set for National Team Action - this Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers 2019 Campaign Comes to An End in First Round of Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 17, 2019
- Timbers, Thorns FC Name Collin Romer Vice President of Communications
- Paredes, Zambrano Called up for International Matches
- Timbers Clinch Berth in Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs with 3-1 Win over San Jose Earthquakes