Last Week around the Leagues
by Fran Stuchbury
March 19, 2019 - NBA G League (G League)
Former Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Johnny Manziel signed with the Alliance of American Football's Memphis Express, the National Women's Hockey League Minnesota Whitecaps won the Isobel Cup championship and World TeamTennis held its player draft for its eight teams last week. Highlights from last week's action are from the Alliance of American Football, NBA G League, Major League Soccer, National Lacrosse League, American Hockey League and National Women's Hockey League.
Alliance of American Football
The Memphis Express is making a big splash at quarterback by signing former Heisman Trophy winner and Cleveland Browns signal-caller Johnny Manziel. The team and the league confirmed the signing of Manziel on Saturday night.
CBS Sports is adding two additional Alliance of American Football games to CBS Television Network as the league continues to evolve at the halfway point of its inaugural season. CBS will now broadcast one of the Conference Championship games on Sunday, April 21 (12:00 PM, ET). Further, on Saturday, April 6 (12:00 PM, ET), CBS will also televise the Memphis Express against the San Antonio Commanders at the Alamodome.
San Antonio Commanders Greg Ward Jr. escapes everyone as he returns the punt 79 yards for the touchdown against the Atlanta Legends:
NBA G League
Raptors 905 guard Josh Adams breaking out the in-game 360 dunk against the Canton Charge:
Grand Rapids Drive forward Isaiah Whitehead with an assistant to himself against the Stockton Kings:
The Fort Wayne Mad Ants defeated the Capital City Go-Go, 125-117, on Thursday night. The win gave Mad Ants (21-25) Head Coach Steve Gansey 100 career wins since taking over as the full-time head coach ahead of the 2015-16 season in Fort Wayne. Gansey is only the sixth coach in NBA G League history to reach the milestone with one team.
Women's National Basketball Association
New York Liberty Alternate Governor Oliver P. Weisberg announced the hiring of General Manager Jonathan Kolb. As the new General Manager for the Liberty, Kolb will focus on obtaining and developing a championship caliber team.
Major League Soccer
25 passes finally create a Los Angeles Galaxy goal by forward Chris Pontius. The Galaxy defeated Minnesota United FC 3-2.
FC Cincinnati went off in their MLS home opener defeating the Portland Timbers 3-0:
American Hockey League
Taking puck luck to a whole new level, Texas Stars defenseman Joel Hanley scores a crazy goal against the Manitoba Moose:
National Women's Hockey League
The Minnesota Whitecaps have made history. In their first NWHL season, they are Isobel Cup champions. Lee Stecklein scored 49 seconds into overtime to give the Whitecaps a 2-1 win over the Buffalo Beauts in an absolute thriller of an Isobel Cup Final.
National Lacrosse League
Georgia Swarm forward Lyle Thompson with a dunk goal against the Rochester Knighthawks. Thompson scored four goals in the Swarm 15-14 victory over the Knighthawks.
Sometimes the bounces just land your way. Buffalo Bandits forward Chase Fraser pokes in the rebound from behind the net for their 12-11 the overtime win over the Saskatchewan Rush.
Former Lancaster Barnstormers Community Man of the Year Trayvon Robinson has signed a minor league contract with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Robinson, 31, has played for the Barnstormers for the last 2 1/2 seasons after parting ways with Somerset in the middle of the 2016 campaign.
The New York Empire selected WTA veteran Kirsten Flipkens with the first overall pick during the annual World TeamTennis draft on Tuesday, and top Americans Venus Williams, John Isner, Sam Querrey and Mike and Bob Bryan and former world No. 1 player Victoria Azarenka will also return to WTT this summer.
Did we miss anything newsworthy or downright fun? Have a nomination for next week's column? Contact us today and let us know.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 19, 2019
- Magic Secure 30th Win of the Season in Victory over Bulls - Lakeland Magic
- Austin Spurs Defeat Texas Legends 121-117 - Austin Spurs
- Lakeland Snaps Windy City's Three-Game Winning Streak, Defeat Bulls 141-109 - Windy City Bulls
- Kings Assign Caleb Swanigan to Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Mad Ants Hold off Herd - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Westchester Knicks Waive Devon Baulkman - Westchester Knicks
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Kethan Savage - Westchester Knicks
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Stars Cap off Regular Season with Two Home Games - Salt Lake City Stars
- Center Deyonta Davis Earns GATORADE Call-Up to the Atlanta Hawks - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Heat Assign Cooke to Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu and Lonnie Walker IV to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall to South Bay Lakers 113-108 to Split Season Series - Santa Cruz Warriors
- South Bay Rides the Wave to Fourth Straight Win - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer(s), and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.