Fish Fall Behind Early, Lose in Sioux City
The Winnipeg Goldeyes' five-game winning streak against the Sioux City Explorers has ended.
The Goldeyes lost for the first time in six outings against Sioux City 5-2 Saturday night at Lewis and Clark Park in Iowa.
Winnipeg remains three games ahead of the Kansas City T-Bones for the American Association's wild card playoff spot.
The Explorers jumped to a 3-0 lead in the first inning on four hits and added singles in the fifth and seventh inning to make it 5-0.
Winnipeg scored a single run in the eighth and ninth innings, but the comeback attempt fell short. Price Kendall scored on a Luis Alen sac fly in the eighth and Chris Roberson singled in Amos Ramon in the ninth.
Roberson had another strong game for the Goldeyes, going three-for-five at the plate to extend his hitting streak to 18 games overall and 22 games on the road. He also chipped in an RBI.
Dexter Carter allowed three runs over four innings in his first start in a Goldeyes uniform and takes the loss. Chris Zbin, Kaohi Downing, Griffin Bailey and Alex Jones combined to pitch four innings of relief.
Alain Quijano tossed seven and a third innings for Sioux Falls to get his third win of the season.
Ace Walker (6-3, 3.01) will start the rubber match for Winnipeg tomorrow. He will face Sioux City's Ty Marotz (4-2, 5.17).
Coverage on TSN 1290 with Paul Edmonds begins at 4:30 p.m. with 55 with Forney. Game time is 6:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 4, 2012
- Explorers defeat Winnipeg - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Results - AA
- AirHogs Lose Two Key Hitters, Game - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Top the Airhogs Again - Laredo Lemurs
- Fish Fall Behind Early, Lose in Sioux City - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- LUCE'S SINGLE GIVES SOX WALK OFF VICTORY OVER DIABLOS - El Paso Diablos
- RedHawks beat Saltdogs, 9-5, for Second Straight Night - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Three Homers Not Enough in Loss to Wichita - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Extra-Base Hits Power Wingnuts to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Salami for Holdren But Hawks Handle 'Dogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Jones Activated from DL - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Nicolas Leads Pheasants Charge over Wichita - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Game at Gary Postponed Due to Rain, Double Header on Sunday - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Saturday Game Postponed; Doubleheader Sunday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Baseball and Buccaneers at QuikTrip Park - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- NBC World Series to Honor Tournament Legend - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.