NBC World Series to Honor Tournament Legend
WICHITA, KS- The National Baseball Congress World Series is pround to announce the retirement of Leroy "Satchel" Paige's number prior to the tournament's feature game on Thursday, August 9th.
Paige played a major role in the birth of the NBC World Series in 1935 when he agreed to bring his barnstorming club from Bismarck, ND to Lawrence-Dumont Stadium. The Hall of Famer helped Bismarck win the inaugural tournament championship. Paige's 60 strikeouts that summer remain a World Series record to this day.
"Satchel Paige has meant a great deal to the rich history of this tournament, and to baseball in the City of Wichita," said Tournament Director Casey Walkup. "We are proud to be permanently honoring Satchel Paige for his contributions both on and off the field."
Pre-game ceremonies begin at 7:30 p.m. Paige's name and the number "17" (the number Paige wore while playing for Bismarck) will be permanently enshrined on the right-center field wall at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium. Members of Paige's family will be on hand for special presentations from the NBC World Series and the Kansas Baseball Hall of Fame. A replica 1935 Bismarck Churchills jersey with Paige's number will be auctioned off to benefit the Satchel Paige Foundation.
A limited number of replica 1935 Bismarck Churchills hats will be given away to fans at the gate.
Paige had a legendary career in the Negro Leagues and played a vital role in breaking down baseball's color barrier in 1947. Paige reached the Majors himself in 1948, helping the Cleveland Indians win the World Series.
The 78th annual NBC World Series is underway at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium. Individual tickets are on sale now. For more information, call the NBC World Series main office at (316) 264-OUTS.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 4, 2012
- Explorers defeat Winnipeg - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Results - AA
- AirHogs Lose Two Key Hitters, Game - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Top the Airhogs Again - Laredo Lemurs
- Fish Fall Behind Early, Lose in Sioux City - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- LUCE'S SINGLE GIVES SOX WALK OFF VICTORY OVER DIABLOS - El Paso Diablos
- RedHawks beat Saltdogs, 9-5, for Second Straight Night - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Three Homers Not Enough in Loss to Wichita - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Extra-Base Hits Power Wingnuts to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Salami for Holdren But Hawks Handle 'Dogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Jones Activated from DL - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Nicolas Leads Pheasants Charge over Wichita - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Game at Gary Postponed Due to Rain, Double Header on Sunday - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Saturday Game Postponed; Doubleheader Sunday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Baseball and Buccaneers at QuikTrip Park - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- NBC World Series to Honor Tournament Legend - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.