Explorers defeat Winnipeg
Sioux City-----Alain Quijano pitched into the eighth inning as the Explorers held off a late rally to defeat Winnipeg here Saturday 5-2. It was Quijano's longest outing of the season as the lefty picked up his third win of the season walking only one and striking out three to get the win. Chris Bodishbaugh came in relief in the eighth inning and finished the game to record his 16th save of the year. The Explorers jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning getting four hits off losing hurler Dexter Carter. Wally Backman, Jr. started the rally with a single and then Peter Barrows followed with a double to extended his hitting streak to 11 games. After Kris Sanchez walked, Ray Serrano drove home the first run with a single and then Youske Inoguchi singled and sent two more runners home to give the Explorers a 3-0 lead. Sioux City added a run in the fifth inning on a RBI double by Sanchez and added their final run in the seventh inning on a RBI single by Backman. Winnipeg loaded the bases with no one out in the eighth, but after Jon Weber struck out, Bodishbaugh got Luis Alen to fly out to left field that scored a run to reduce the Explorers lead to 5-1. The Goldeyes made one final push in the ninth inning as they scored one run on three hits, but Bodishbaugh struck out the side including Yurendell deCaster to end the game. The three-game series is tied at one game each with the final game Sunday at 6:05 at Lewis and Clark Park.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 4, 2012
- Explorers defeat Winnipeg - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Results - AA
- AirHogs Lose Two Key Hitters, Game - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Top the Airhogs Again - Laredo Lemurs
- Fish Fall Behind Early, Lose in Sioux City - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- LUCE'S SINGLE GIVES SOX WALK OFF VICTORY OVER DIABLOS - El Paso Diablos
- RedHawks beat Saltdogs, 9-5, for Second Straight Night - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Three Homers Not Enough in Loss to Wichita - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Extra-Base Hits Power Wingnuts to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Salami for Holdren But Hawks Handle 'Dogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Jones Activated from DL - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Nicolas Leads Pheasants Charge over Wichita - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Game at Gary Postponed Due to Rain, Double Header on Sunday - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Saturday Game Postponed; Doubleheader Sunday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Baseball and Buccaneers at QuikTrip Park - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- NBC World Series to Honor Tournament Legend - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.