Three Homers Not Enough in Loss to Wichita
SIOUX FALLS -- After being handed a loss earlier in the day, the Wichita Wingnuts hit their way to a 9-6 victory over the Sioux Falls Pheasants Saturday night.
Earlier in the day, the Pheasants won the completion of Friday night's suspended game 7-5.
Right from the start of game two, Wichita's offense was firing on all cylinders. The Wingnuts scored two runs in the first inning on a leadoff home run by Ryan Khoury, and Mike Conroy scored on Rodriguez's groundout for an early 2-0 lead.
The Wingnuts tallied a run in the top of the second on Wilberto Ortiz's RBI double to extend the early advantage to 3-0.
Reggie Abercrombie sparked the Pheasants offense in the second and third innings. He blasted his third home run in six games in the second and added his second RBI with an RBI single in the third, closing the gap to 3-2 in front of 3,122 fans at Sioux Falls Stadium.
Since joining the Pheasants on Monday, Abercrombie has gone a blistering 15-for-28 (.517) with three home runs and nine RBI.
"Reggie brings an energy to the table. Plus, he's a good baseball player," said Pheasants manager Steve Shirley. "You make too many mistakes to a player like Reggie, and he'll make you pay for them."
Sioux Falls tied the game 3-3 in the fourth inning off of Ridge Carpenter's home run to right field, his fourth of the season. He has hit all of them since joining the Pheasants on July 23,
Wichita regained the lead in the fifth when John Rodriguez tallied his second RBI of the night with a single. Two bases hits and an error followed to load the bases for David Peralta, who slapped a three-run double for a 7-3 advantage.
The four-run fifth inning ended Pheasants' starter Rod Scurry's (3-6) day. He allowed seven runs, six earned, on ten hits. He also struck out two and walked one.
An error by Wichita shortstop Ryan Khoury led to a Pheasants run and a 7-4 score in the sixth inning. Trevor Lawhorn smashed a ball in his direction, but it bounced off of his glove into left field, bringing in Abercrombie from second base.
Wingnuts starter Ryan Hinson (8-4) earned the victory across seven innings pitched. He allowed four runs, three earned, on nine hits while walking two and striking out three batters.
Wichita plated a run via Mike Conroy's double in the eighth and Greg Porter's home run in the ninth, their tenth extra-base hit, for a 9-4 lead.
Cory Morales hit a two-run home run, his eighth of the year, in the ninth, cutting the lead to 9-6. After Jared Bolden walked, Wichita closer Josh Dew entered in relief of Edgar Martinez and struck out Abercrombie to earn his fifth save of the season.
"Yes we gave up some hits and lost the game, but overall we played the game pretty well," said Shirley. "The bullpen came in and did a decent job, and things have been going well for us all the way around."
Three Pheasants had multi-hit performances. Abercrombie led the way, going 3-for-5 with two RBI. Cesar Nicolas was 2-for-3, and Al Quintana was 2-for-4.
The rubber match of the three-game series with Wichita is at 5:05 p.m. on Sunday, August 5 at Sioux Falls Stadium. The Pheasants celebrate Bark in the Park Night, where dog tickets are $5 with 100 percent of the proceeds going to benefit Dakota Dachshund Rescue.
"Kids FREE" also continues. With the purchase of an adult ticket ($12 seating), two tickets for children 12-and-under are free.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 4, 2012
- Explorers defeat Winnipeg - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Results - AA
- AirHogs Lose Two Key Hitters, Game - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Top the Airhogs Again - Laredo Lemurs
- Fish Fall Behind Early, Lose in Sioux City - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- LUCE'S SINGLE GIVES SOX WALK OFF VICTORY OVER DIABLOS - El Paso Diablos
- RedHawks beat Saltdogs, 9-5, for Second Straight Night - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Three Homers Not Enough in Loss to Wichita - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Extra-Base Hits Power Wingnuts to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Salami for Holdren But Hawks Handle 'Dogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Jones Activated from DL - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Nicolas Leads Pheasants Charge over Wichita - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Game at Gary Postponed Due to Rain, Double Header on Sunday - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Saturday Game Postponed; Doubleheader Sunday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Baseball and Buccaneers at QuikTrip Park - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- NBC World Series to Honor Tournament Legend - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.