Extra-Base Hits Power Wingnuts to Win
SIOUX FALLS, SD- The Wichita Wingnuts (43-30) defeated the Sioux Falls Pheasants (34-39) at Sioux Falls Stadium on Saturday night.
The Wingnuts went ahead for good with a four-run top of the fifth inning that gave them a 7-3 lead. Mike Conroy doubled down the right field line with one out and scored on a groundball single to right from John Rodriguez. Mark Wagner followed with a single to left while Greg Porter reached on an error by first baseman Jared Bolden that loaded the bases. On the next pitch, David Perlata slugged a three-run double off the top of the right field wall to give the Wingnuts a four-run advantage.
Sioux Falls scratched out an unearned run against Wingnuts' starter Ryan Hinson in the bottom of the sixth.
Wichita added a run in the eighth on a two-out, RBI double to left-center from Conroy, and another in the ninth on a long, solo home run to right from Porter.
Cory Morales hit a two-out, two-run home run in the bottom of the ninth to trim the lead to 9-6. After Bolden walked, Josh Dew was called from the bullpen. Dew struck out Reggie Abercrombie on three pitches to earn his fifth save of the year.
Hinson picked up the win, allowing four runs, three earned, on nine hits in seven innings. Hinson walked two and struck out three. With 19 wins over the last two seasons, Hinson now stands alone in second place in Wingnuts' history.
Ryan Khoury led off the game with a solo home run to right-center on the second pitch from Pheasants' starter Rod Scurry. Conroy followed with a triple to right-center and scored on a groundout to shortstop by Rodriguez.
Jessie Mier hit a double down the left field line in the top of the second to extend his hitting streak to 10 games in a row. Two batters later, Wilberto Ortiz doubled to left-center to drive in Mier and give the Wingnuts a 3-0 lead.
Abercrombie hit a solo home run in the bottom of the second and had an RBI single in the bottom of the third to make it 3-2. Ridge Carpenter hit a two-out, solo home run in the fourth that briefly tied the game.
Scurry took the loss, allowing seven runs, six earned, on 10 hits in five innings. Scurry walked one and struck out two.
Jared Simon worked a scoreless relief inning for the Wingnuts. Conroy totaled four hits, including three doubles and a triple. 10 of the Wingnuts' 15 hits were for extra bases.
Earlier in the afternoon, the Pheasants held on for a 7-5 win in the completion of Friday night's suspended game. Derek Blacksher took the loss for Wichita, while Mitchell Clegg earned the win for Sioux Falls. Alen Deratt picked up the save. Neither team collected a baserunner over the final two-plus innings.
Prior to Friday's game, the Wingnuts signed rookie left-hander Chris Cummins. Cummins was 8-4 with a 2.35 ERA during his senior season at Baker University this past spring. The 21-year-old Cummins made one appearance for the San Diego Force last week in the NBC World Series and earned a save. The 6-foot-1, 185-pound Cummins is expected to start for the Wingnuts on Tuesday night at Lincoln.
The series concludes Sunday evening at 5:05 p.m. Josh Lowey takes on left-hander Peter Gehle. All the action can be heard on Oldies 92.7 KWME and worldwide at www.pressboxproductionsradio.com following the completion of the feature broadcast of the 78th annual NBC World Series.
The Wingnuts return home on Monday, August 13th when they host the El Paso Diablos. Individual tickets can be purchased by calling (316) 755-SEAT, or by visiting www.selectaseat.com
For season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts' main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts' official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 4, 2012
- Explorers defeat Winnipeg - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Results - AA
- AirHogs Lose Two Key Hitters, Game - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Top the Airhogs Again - Laredo Lemurs
- Fish Fall Behind Early, Lose in Sioux City - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- LUCE'S SINGLE GIVES SOX WALK OFF VICTORY OVER DIABLOS - El Paso Diablos
- RedHawks beat Saltdogs, 9-5, for Second Straight Night - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Three Homers Not Enough in Loss to Wichita - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Extra-Base Hits Power Wingnuts to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Salami for Holdren But Hawks Handle 'Dogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Jones Activated from DL - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Nicolas Leads Pheasants Charge over Wichita - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Game at Gary Postponed Due to Rain, Double Header on Sunday - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Saturday Game Postponed; Doubleheader Sunday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Baseball and Buccaneers at QuikTrip Park - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- NBC World Series to Honor Tournament Legend - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.