RedHawks beat Saltdogs, 9-5, for Second Straight Night
Fargo, ND - The Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks had every player in their lineup pick up a hit for the second consecutive night and extended their season-high home win streak to 13 games with a 9-5 victory over the Lincoln Saltdogs at Newman Outdoor Field on August 4, 2012.
Zach Penprase got the game rolling for the RedHawks in the first. Penprase stole both second and third base in the first and reached home after a throwing error by Lincoln catcher A.J. Miller allowed him to score from third. The RedHawks picked up another run in the inning on an RBI single by Jon Gaston.
Ryan Stovall led the third off with a double, Nic Jackson hit an RBI fielder's choice that scored Stovall, and Eric Campbell followed with a two-run home run off the right field foul pole to give the RedHawks a 5-1 lead.
After Fargo-Moorhead picked up a run in the fourth and sixth, Saltdogs designated hitter Stephen Holdren hit a grand slam to left field to cut the RedHawks lead to 7-5.
Fargo-Moorhead pulled away in the seventh picking up two more run on five hits. Carlo Cota and Stovall each hit RBI singles to increase the RedHawks lead to 9-5.
The RedHawks (48-25) are now 39-8 in their last 47 games and are currently in first place in the American Association. Six players had multi-hit games for Fargo-Moorhead with Ryan Stovall going 3-for-5 with two doubles while Nic Jackson hit his league-leading 74th RBI.
Stephen Holdren was 2-for-4 with a grand slam, Sean Smith was 2-for-4 with a run, and A.J. Miller had two hits with an RBI for the Saltdogs (29-43) at the plate.
Tyler Herron improved to 7-3 on the season after pitching 6 2/3 innings giving up four earned runs on six hits, two walks and striking out four. Kevin Fuqua and Mike Zenko both pitched scoreless relief for Fargo-Moorhead.
Saltdogs starter Tommy Palica drops to 2-7 on the season after giving up six runs (five earned) in five innings of work.
The RedHawks and Saltdogs conclude the three-game series tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. at Newman Outdoor Field. The probable starters for Sunday's game are Alex Caldera for Fargo-Moorhead and Justin Edwards for Lincoln.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 4, 2012
- Explorers defeat Winnipeg - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Results - AA
- AirHogs Lose Two Key Hitters, Game - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Top the Airhogs Again - Laredo Lemurs
- Fish Fall Behind Early, Lose in Sioux City - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- LUCE'S SINGLE GIVES SOX WALK OFF VICTORY OVER DIABLOS - El Paso Diablos
- RedHawks beat Saltdogs, 9-5, for Second Straight Night - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Three Homers Not Enough in Loss to Wichita - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Extra-Base Hits Power Wingnuts to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Salami for Holdren But Hawks Handle 'Dogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Jones Activated from DL - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Nicolas Leads Pheasants Charge over Wichita - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Game at Gary Postponed Due to Rain, Double Header on Sunday - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Saturday Game Postponed; Doubleheader Sunday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Baseball and Buccaneers at QuikTrip Park - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- NBC World Series to Honor Tournament Legend - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks Stories
- RedHawks Honored as the American Association 2020 Organization of the Year
- American Association Designated as a Partner League of MLB
- Rau Named American Association Executive of the Year
- RedHawks Drew Ward Named to 2020 All-Star Team
- Pina Blasts Two Home Runs in RedHawks in Series Win