LUCE'S SINGLE GIVES SOX WALK OFF VICTORY OVER DIABLOS
AMARILLO, TX- Left fielder Jake Luce singled in Garrett Rau with one out in the bottom of the ninth to give the Amarillo Sox a 4-3 win over the Diablos in game two of a three game series at Amarillo National Bank Sox Stadium.
Tim Adleman (0-2) surrendered the winning run in a game marked by several errors from both teams but strong pitching throughout. Starter Reyes Dorado went six strong innings, giving up three runs (two earned) and striking out seven while earning a no decision.
Amarillo hurler Chuck Lofgren was a notch better, however, throwing seven frames and striking out a season high eight batters.
Trailing 3-2 into the eighth, El Paso took advantage of Lofgren being out of the game and tied the game off reliever Wes Littleton. Maikol Gonzalez reached on an error by second baseman Adam Buschini and scored on Mitch Einertson's game-tying single. Einertson drove in all three runs in the game for the Diablos.
After El Paso stranded a runner at third in the top half of the ninth, however, the Sox struck back to win the game. Rau led off the ninth with a double, reached third on a bunt and scored on Luce's sharp drive over the head of Welington Dotel in right field.
The loss drops the Diablos to 32-38 and snaps Amarillo's seven game losing streak. The rubber match of the series is scheduled for a 6:05 p.m. (5:05 p.m. MST) first pitch on Sunday evening.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 4, 2012
- Explorers defeat Winnipeg - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Results - AA
- AirHogs Lose Two Key Hitters, Game - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Top the Airhogs Again - Laredo Lemurs
- Fish Fall Behind Early, Lose in Sioux City - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- LUCE'S SINGLE GIVES SOX WALK OFF VICTORY OVER DIABLOS - El Paso Diablos
- RedHawks beat Saltdogs, 9-5, for Second Straight Night - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Three Homers Not Enough in Loss to Wichita - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Extra-Base Hits Power Wingnuts to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Salami for Holdren But Hawks Handle 'Dogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Jones Activated from DL - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Nicolas Leads Pheasants Charge over Wichita - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Game at Gary Postponed Due to Rain, Double Header on Sunday - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Saturday Game Postponed; Doubleheader Sunday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Baseball and Buccaneers at QuikTrip Park - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- NBC World Series to Honor Tournament Legend - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.