AirHogs Lose Two Key Hitters, Game
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - Grand Prairie AirHogs pitchers Reymond Cruz and Ronnie Morales each got hits on their first career plate appearances Saturday night, but each of them was touched up on the mound as the Laredo Lemurs took their second straight game from the hosts, beating the AirHogs 9-5 at QuikTrip Park.
Cruz (4-6) and Morales were forced into the lineup after injuries to Brian Myrow (leg injury running out a base hit in the first) and Andres Rodriguez (hit by a pitch in the left arm in the fourth), depriving the AirHogs (41-32) of their three- and four-hole hitters.
The AirHogs were down 4-0 after five thanks to a costly two-run error in the first and a two-run home run by John Allen in the third off Cruz, who is now 0-3 with the AirHogs. But Keanon Simon tripled to left-center to start the bottom of the sixth off Osvaldo Rodriguez (2-4), and scored on Jonny Kaplan's sacrifice fly to put the AirHogs on the board. With two outs, Cruz came up and lined a double to right-center on the first pitch he has seen as a professional, but he was held at third on Trent Lockwood's subsequent single. Rodriguez then Jairo Perez to strike out on a curveball to end the inning and keep the Lemurs (34-38) up by three.
Grand Prairie got another sac fly - this time from Bryan Frichter - in the seventh to pull to within two, but three lefties got hits off the lefty Morales to help knock in four runs for the Lemurs in the top of the eighth.
After an error began the bottom of the frame, Kenny Held homered to left off Chaz Roe to make it 8-4, before Morales hit a dribbler up the third-base line for an infield hit. Lockwood struck out but Perez, McMurray and Nishimoto all singled to bring in another run - but Perez was thrown out at the plate trying to score from second on Nishimoto's hit. Roe then struck out Bryan Frichter to end the threat, and after Laredo got an insurance run in the top of the ninth, Mike Benacka struck out the side in the bottom half to end the game.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 4, 2012
- Explorers defeat Winnipeg - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Results - AA
- AirHogs Lose Two Key Hitters, Game - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Top the Airhogs Again - Laredo Lemurs
- Fish Fall Behind Early, Lose in Sioux City - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- LUCE'S SINGLE GIVES SOX WALK OFF VICTORY OVER DIABLOS - El Paso Diablos
- RedHawks beat Saltdogs, 9-5, for Second Straight Night - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Three Homers Not Enough in Loss to Wichita - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Extra-Base Hits Power Wingnuts to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Salami for Holdren But Hawks Handle 'Dogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Jones Activated from DL - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Nicolas Leads Pheasants Charge over Wichita - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Game at Gary Postponed Due to Rain, Double Header on Sunday - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Saturday Game Postponed; Doubleheader Sunday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Baseball and Buccaneers at QuikTrip Park - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- NBC World Series to Honor Tournament Legend - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs